Mac OS 10.10.5 - Sudden Sound Disaster

caffeinator · 3292

Offline caffeinator

on: August 20, 2015, 07:48:37 PM
I okay'ed an O/S upgrade to 10.10.5 tonight on my Mac Mini and Omg, suddenly the DAC sounds like shit.  Anyone else had this experience?

Any suggestions?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:18:52 PM
Can you be a little more specific?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:08:25 PM
Sorry for the cryptic post.  The sound had a kind of tearing or static quality to it - though there was no static sound between tracks.  It was really unpleasant - I remember hearing something like it on early bluetooth earpieces when sounds like applause or crowd noise was coming through.

I realized today that after the O/S upgrade, Amarra was probably not running and I might have played through iTunes when the problem occurred.  Playing through Amarra now, it sounds much better, but iTunes also seems better.  The DAC, though, now reads 44.1, whereas it had been reading 348 and 352.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:03:02 AM
The DAC, though, now reads 44.1, whereas it had been reading 348 and 352.

Did you try powering off the DAC for a few minutes (leaving the computer booted up) and then plug it back in. That seems to solve most display issues for me. But it is important to wait a few minutes. If you try plugging the DAC back in too fast this trick doesn't work.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:07:40 AM
Thanks for that suggestion - I don't think I did that while trying other things.  I will try that tonight and report back on any results.  I think I need to re-run the Amarra setup script also.  There could also be some variation due to my iTunes library not being altogether on the Mini - seems like there's some weirdness with that, too.