Stereomour II vs. Seductor/Smash

Samsquatch · 4815

Offline Samsquatch

on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:16 AM
I've been loving my Seductor/Smash combo for the last six months but I am curious as to the differences between the Stereomour and my combo. Is there a sonic gain to be had? Will the Stereomour be far above board once all the upgrades and mod kits are finally revealed? I still have to pick up the SmashQuiet for the preamp yet and once that is done the overall cost into my system will be more than the Stereomour as it stands without mods. Thoughts?

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:34:56 AM
The Smash/Seductor is going to give you a lot more upgrade flexibility.  If, for example, you wanted to switch to less efficient speakers, you could bridge the Seductor and add a second one, or simply switch to a different amp.  The Stereomour won't offer that kind of flexibility, but fully upgraded, it will have the sonic edge. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:17:00 PM
Seductor/Smash is only $18 more than the Stereomour II, so is it fair to say they're about equal, and that with the Smash-up and SmashQuiet the Seductor/Smash combo would be superior?

I like the idea of the extra output on the Smash for a headphone amp, too.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:23:38 PM
No. Seductor/Smash is more flexible in that you can change the preamp or the power amp when you want, and it has more gain if you have low-output sources. And of course if you already have a preamp, or choose something like the Quickie, you can use just the Seductor at a considerable savings over the Stereomour.

But Stereomour sounds better.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:35:01 PM
But Stereomour sounds better.
Even after Smash upgrades?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:08:51 PM
Yes.

In my opinion and experience, every active component degrades the sound, just to a greater or lesser degree. So no matter how great a preamp is used, a system with no active preamp at all will still sound better.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:42:38 AM
Yes.

In my opinion and experience, every active component degrades the sound, just to a greater or lesser degree. So no matter how great a preamp is used, a system with no active preamp at all will still sound better.
By that logic the Paramounts would sound better with the Submissive than with the BeePre. Assuming one didn't need the gain. Would you agree?

- Sam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:34:15 AM
You are asking questions that can really only be answered with opinions. While I agree with PJ in principal, my practical experience says an active preamp is often better. But that doesn't really address why the Stereomour might sound better than Smash/Seductor. Stereomour uses 2A3s. They are usually considered to sound better than EL84s for use with efficient speakers designed to work with SETs. Though some might like Seductor better.

The point the guys are trying to emphasize is that the differences are about flexibility. Stereomour is an integrated amp with, more or less, a passive preamp stage (a 100K pot). Smash can be used with lots of different amps, as can Seductor. This does add another gain stage and also some cable. However one could add Seductor to a Quickie and later upgrade to a Smash. You can also strap two Seductors into monoblocks and get more power than you get from a Steremour. Lots more options with the separate components.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:25:07 AM
Which do you like better, apple or cherry pie?

Doc summed it up pretty well. I fall into the camp of using as few components as possible to get the job done. But there are so many variables to consider.

I used a FPIII with Paramour II's for years and decided to experiment with a passive setup. I had upgraded my Sweetest Whispers to a different stepped attenuator that gave me more steps. My experiment called for reusing the whispers as a passive arrangement so I could hear the difference for myself. The sound was a tad nicer and definitely less colored. However when I tried spinning some vinyl through my Seduction I ran out of gain. I use 45's in my Paramour II's so that wasn't helping the situation any. Once I added my pre-amp back into the system I had my gain back. I guess my point is that every situation is different. If I only played my digital source I could have gotten away with a passive pre-amp.  HMMM..... maybe its time for me to upgrade to an Eros. ;)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:20 AM
Which do you like better, apple or cherry pie?

I don't think I could've worded it any better myself!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:31:12 AM
I find it so amazing the sheer amount of knowledge and experiance that the forum has collectively and the willingness to share it with all. :) I've had so much fun building my kits that I want to keep going and somewhat considered trying to sell off my Seductor/Smash to scrape together enough money to order the Stereomour II.  I think I'll just do it the old fashioned way and save up the pennies and move into the Stereomour or, if I'm patient enough, the Paramounts. Maybe by then our poor ole Canadian dollar will come back up. Thanks again.

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned