Diode substitution?

Jim R. · 5310

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: June 22, 2010, 09:19:07 AM
I'm going through and inventorying all the parts as I start the assembly of my Crack in earnest today, and I'm only coming up with three of the UF4007 diodes.  For some reason I don't seem to have any spares lying around, but I do have a bunch of SF-4007s instead.  Will these sub directly?

Having trouble finding some component data sheets that I can read as most seem to be pdfs of catalog pages.

Thanks,

Jim

Update: found the remaining original, but would still like to know if the SF-4007 will sub and if it would, based on specs, be a better or worse choice than the original.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:11:28 AM by jrebman »

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:52:57 AM
If you have four SF-4007's, go for it.

I'm still interested in seeing photos of your build... ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:04 AM
Paul,

Thanks for the answer.  Don't worry, there will be photos, including some in-progress ones soon, I hope.

The chassis is basically done except for a bit more sanding, installing some threaded inserts, the ebony feet, the BH badge, and waxing.  I stayed with the original box, rounded over the top and bottom edges, installed two lengthwise cleats along the bottom for some hold-down bolts, applied some red analine dye, and a few coats of wipe-on poly.  The plate is painted almond on the inside, and black hammerite on top, but then I freckled the top with a tiny bit of gold hammerite.  Just have one more coat of gloss black to put on the transformer, and the bellend is gold hammerite.

So far the individual parts are getting some nice compliments, but I have yet to put it all together.

I'm just about to scrape off the almond paint under the 2 5-lug terminals strips and where the ground bolt goes, and then I can start building up the plate in it's final form.

Yes, taking my time to get it right, and just having a blast doing it!

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline ironbut

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:25:32 AM
Hey Jim,
My memory might be totally wrong, but I seem to recall that the diodes were packed in the same bag as the pot. When I looked, I wasn't able to find all my diodes either but it turned out that it had slipped into the little slot on the side of the pot.
I meant to tell Eileen about that but forgot. Now, I can't say for certain if it was a diode or a resistor.

It's a bummer when your mind turns to mud!

(edit) The squirrel cage dynamo in my cortex finally kicked in and I now remember that it was one of the LED's that was inside of the pot!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:37:03 AM by ironbut »

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:23:35 PM
Steve,

I found the 4th diode -- it was in the large bag, just hiding from me, but as long as PB has said the SF-4007 is ok, I'll probably give those a try.

-- Jim

Offline grufti

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:23:35 PM
The uf4007 and the sf4007 are nearly identical diodes in terms of how they measure and how they behave in a circuit. The sf4007 is much harder to find in small quantities and it has very fancy sintered glass packaging.

Offline ironbut

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:44:47 AM
The uf4007 and the sf4007 are nearly identical diodes in terms of how they measure and how they behave in a circuit. The sf4007 is much harder to find in small quantities and it has very fancy sintered glass packaging.

I have both of these diodes in my parts bin and aside from keeping the same type in a particular bridge, I've been using them interchangeably.
I was just wondering,.. why the different packaging?

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:04:00 AM
PB,

Ok, as you wish...

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,843.0.html

Still lots to be done, but should give you an idea of where I'm going with it.

-- Jim

Offline grufti

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:39:01 AM
The sintered glass case of the SF4007 provides environmental protection.

I have both of these diodes in my parts bin and aside from keeping the same type in a particular bridge, I've been using them interchangeably.
I was just wondering,.. why the different packaging?