Switch orientation and tubes not glowing - solved

SammyJ · 1544

Offline SammyJ

on: September 20, 2015, 08:21:33 AM
Hey folks,
Just completed my crack!!  So excited to pair this with my HD 700's :).  Some quick questions:

1. All of my resistance and voltage checks were good, with two exceptions: A1 and B6 were both 76V.  I think it's OK, just new tube funkiness but wanted to make sure

2. My 12AU7 is barely glowing.  The ront of it is very faint, the rear is basically not glowing (and maybe the cause of the funkiness above).  However, it's certainly getting hot and seems to be operating just fine (the crack sounds phenomenal).  Any cause for concern?

3.  Just a random thought, the switch orientation is reversed from my Reduction (switch is on when the white dot, which is on the outward side is down, vs. in Reduction where switch down on outward side = off).  Just wondering if this was intentional or random.

thanks!
S
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:11:47 AM by SammyJ »

Offline SammyJ

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:29:55 AM
Also, I just want to mention, it's absurd how good this thing sounds.... If you're on the fence about purchasing this kit, go ahead and do it, you'll not regret it.

Seriously, this thing sounds so damn good.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 03:53:20 PM
1. All of my resistance and voltage checks were good, with two exceptions: A1 and B6 were both 76V.  I think it's OK, just new tube funkiness but wanted to make sure
This is indicative of higher emission from your 12AU7, which is good.  When we wrote the manual, we were using all EH 12AU7's, which have lower initial emission and produce higher plate voltage.
2. My 12AU7 is barely glowing.  The ront of it is very faint, the rear is basically not glowing (and maybe the cause of the funkiness above).  However, it's certainly getting hot and seems to be operating just fine (the crack sounds phenomenal).  Any cause for concern?
Your voltage at A1 or A6 would be very high if the tube wasn't functioning properly. I wouldn't worry about it.
3.  Just a random thought, the switch orientation is reversed from my Reduction (switch is on when the white dot, which is on the outward side is down, vs. in Reduction where switch down on outward side = off).  Just wondering if this was intentional or random.
I believe all of our kits are now relatively consistent, but they differ from the Seduction.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Chris65

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 11:01:10 PM

Yes, it is the other way round in the Reduction. I simply reversed it to make them the same.

I believe all of our kits are now relatively consistent, but they differ from the Seduction.

Reduction, Paul ;D