incorporating a stereomour into my present system

Jay · 3116

Offline Jay

on: September 23, 2015, 06:22:34 PM
/delurk
Hello all.  I have some questions about how best to incorporate a tube amp into my current system.  Before getting an amp, I plan to build enclosures with a pair of Great Plains Audio 604-8h drivers.  These are close to 98 db i believe.  I would like to keep my Marantz receiver but use it as a preamp (to maintain all the hdmi functionality etc).  Also, I would like to hook my phono preamp directly to my tube amp to keep the signal path as short as possible (my cartridge is a lomc).  So, with its multiple inputs, the stereomour seems like a good choice, but does it work to hook my Marantz's preamp out to the stereomour's input?  Would that be preamp overkill given that the stereomour is an integrated amp?  Would it be better to use a non integrated amp like the seductor or a pair of paramounts and keep my phono on the marantz?  Or perhaps something I haven't thought of?

I remember "helping" my dad put together a Heathkit receiver many years ago.  I'm eager to try my hand at my own kit now.  :)
Jay

Jay L.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:02:49 PM
A "preamp out" would work well with Stereomour (or SEX). Having the Marantz volume control available to match the phono and [other] levels is a bonus - phono carts and phono preamps are so variable that the phono often does not match the other sources.

Paul Joppa

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:12:46 AM
[...]
You would not be able to feed your phono into the Stereomour as it does not have a phono stage. 
[...]

[...]
Also, I would like to hook my phono preamp directly to my tube amp to keep the signal path as short as possible (my cartridge is a lomc).
 [...] [emphasis added ]

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Jay

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 11:02:59 AM
Thanks folks!  I'll keep my eye on the stereomour then.  Maybe someday I'll get one of the tube phono preamps instead of my ss Black Box.  For now I'm intimidated by the need to wire in a stepup transformer to deal with my moving coil cart.  But I would love to have a full tube path for my vinyl!
Jay

Jay L.