0d3 broken? [resolved]

Roy300B · 2350

Offline Roy300B

on: September 30, 2015, 03:38:00 AM
Hi!

Just started to build my Smash this week. As I unpacked and inspected the 3 tubes, I noticed that the glass of the 0D3 tube rattled a bit as I grabbed it by the base. Took a closer look and saw that the glass can move and even twist a little bit in its base :o

Is it still possible that this tube is OK? would it be safe to test it when the amp is finished?

Thanks
Roy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:28:27 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:15:32 AM
Roy,

I have a couple of tubes with bits of glass that rattle around in the envelope a bit. They test and operate just fine. If it were metal that would be a different story. Loose bases are common as well.

I have a small stash of 0D3's that I bought when my FPIII still used them. I have since upgraded to shunt regulation and no longer have a use for them. I can send you one (no charge) so you can have a backup if you'd like. If interested PM me your address and I'll get one in the mail.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:34:04 AM
The base doesn't have any influence on the seal of the glass, so the tube probably works fine. Be careful to plug and unplug it by handling the base, not the glass. You can wick a tiny drop of super glue in between the base and the glass to firm up the connection.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Roy300B

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 04:30:33 AM
OK, thanks!

Good to know that the glass should be intact, will give it a try :-)

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 06:22:25 AM
OK, thanks!

Good to know that the glass should be intact, will give it a try :-)

You will know if its working if there is a pinkish glow inside the tube and steady 150 Volts DC on the regulated side of the 0D3 which I believe is pin 5.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:31:01 AM by Natural Sound »

Offline Roy300B

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 01:46:32 AM
I've used a tiny drop of glue, like Doc said, and finished the build.
The amp started right up, and sounds well too!  :D

The purple glow inside the 0D3 is just barely visible in the picture, but it looks fascinating in real:
(http://i.imgur.com/dmIx3TD.jpg)

Thanks again for your support!