triad c7x choke

ee · 2379

Offline ee

on: October 21, 2015, 03:05:51 AM
I'm stilling goofing around with my Stereomour and Foreplay.
After replacing both resistors in the foreplay power supply I decided to also replace the 360/1200 resistors in the Stereomour also.Several here have done it with good results and I agree. The question usually seems to be where to mount. Mix of ideas and solutions so here is another but I'm sure it's not original. I do think I've seen where someone suggested standoffs. These are threaded 2 inch standoffs that came with the Foreplay to connect the top plate to the bottom plate unless the wood base was ordered. I thought of it when I was about to remove the bolts from the OT-2 and put in a long bolt to extend above the OT. I noticed a few mm of bolt that could still be used. Luckily just before I did something more elaborate. You can also get these threaded standoffs at the hardware store. I put a nylon washer between the standoff and choke. The choke housing doesn't contact the OT-2 housing.
Eric

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables

Offline borism

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:26 AM
Hi Eric,
Can you describe how the chokes are working out in your Stereomour? Are you hearing any difference and how does it compare to for example upgrading capacitors (coupling, parafeed)?
I also have an original 2A3 Steomour and have already replaced the 360/1200 resistor with a 270 Mills one.
Thanks,
Boris

Boris

Offline ee

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:55:32 AM
I will agree with what I have read here from at least one person about putting in the chokes. Cleaner highs, slightly clearer background and more "air" or feeling of space in recordings. Subtle difference but yes better to me in my setup. You'll see I removed the whole board to install the chokes. I had an all film PS and film cathode bypass that I removed at the same time. I  replaced the films with Jensen PIO electrolytics. So it's not a/b comparison. I will say for sure that replacing the 2 PS resistors in my Foreplay translated to clearer/blacker background while maintaining a sense of space and still being there feeling. I listened to the Foreplay with each resistor location substituted with a choke. I preferred both chokes in the Foreplay in my system. That's when I decided it was a no brainer for putting it in the Stereomour. It did seem as or almost as effective as bypassing an electrolytic with a film, strictly speaking to the "cleaned up the sound" part of bypassing, not the adding "spice" that bypassing can also do. I hope that all makes sense. Bottom line no regrets on putting in the chokes in the Stereomour. I googled " resistor vs choke power supply tube amp " and found some info regarding sagging and stiff power supplies which may lead to exploration of what one may get from the change. I have no objective info but I like it.
Eric
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:30:23 AM by ee »

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables