PC no longer sees DAC

glynnw · 3058

Offline glynnw

on: November 04, 2015, 03:17:44 PM
I had to disassemble the stereo yesterday to have the carpets cleaned  When  I hooked it all back up. the PC couldn't see the DAC. I threw another DAC on there and it was instantly recognized by the PC, so I know the wiring is OK.   I tried it with and without the Regen.  I tried to turn on PC first, then tried to turn on system first.  Nothing worked.
As I think of what I might have done wrong, I currently was running the DAC, the Regen and the SOtM USB card off a large battery.  When I hooked it back up today I initially reversed the polarity and hooked the positive line up to the negative terminal and the negative wire to the positive.  This didn't hurt the Regen or SOtM card, but may have fried something in the DAC.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:00:00 PM by glynnw »

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 08:15:04 AM
Does the DAC now power up with the correct, supplied power supply?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline glynnw

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:39:01 AM
Yup, assuming the 9V Random Corp supply is the correct one.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:50:01 AM
Yes, that is the one we supply with the DAC. It's pretty hard to guess what happened when the power was connected backwards without further investigation. Have you tried the TOSLINK or coax inputs? If they work that might help to narrow the possibilites down.

At the risk of sounding like I am taking advantage of a bad situation, I will suggest to anyone else who has a Bottlehead DAC that they stick with the supplied power supply or a Bottlebatt in order to avoid this kind of mishap.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:52:19 AM
To further underscore Dan's statement, note pages 3 and 11 in the DAC manual.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline glynnw

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
I'll pick up here in a couple of days - a friend just came to visit for a few days.

Offline glynnw

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 09:27:52 AM
OK - back again.  No BNC connectors so I cannot try spdif.  The Toslink was not seen by the PC.  I also tried the Toslink off a CD player.  NADA!  Unit lights up w/ 888 and that is it. 

And by the way.  I accept responsibilty for this - I played with fire knowingly (and stupidly).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:33:56 AM
Hi Glynn, best thing at point is probably to give us a call on Monday to discuss options.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline glynnw

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 12:53:30 PM
Thanks - will do.