Old CDP's with good transports

pro_crip · 5642

Offline pro_crip

on: July 04, 2010, 02:00:45 PM
Is there a list somewhere, perhaps in some bottlehead's head, of first gen cdp's with good transports, preferably made of metal before everything got plasticized. I don't care about the dac because I'm going to put in one of those twisted pear dac's, either the opus or the buffalo. Then, eventually give it a tube output stage, either lampizator or the one they have at diyhifisupply. So all I really need is a rock-solid mechanism for dirt-cheap. If anyone can be of help, would be highly appreciative. Thanks

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:52:17 PM
I could be wrong, but a few of the 1990's Marantz players were well regarded as cheap and durable transports. I had one until recently, in fact. The models that come to mind are the CD-63 and CD-63SE, as well as the CD-67 and CD-67SE. I had the latter. Both were metal and of pretty soild build quality, better than their newer stuff, anyway (which now feature ugly plastic/molded curved sides - yuck!).

I sold mine just a few months ago - all of my digital stuff is now ripped to Apple Lossless and sent to my BH gear digitally. I got sick of fumbling around with discs - I already have LP's if I want to do that!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:54:35 PM by Dr. Toobz »

Offline mingles

• My system
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:43:31 PM
Denon 2910 and 3910 are excellent transports and they're built like tanks.

Offline epistaxsis

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:59 AM
Teac CD Players with VRDS in their names have very good transports.

They can also still be repaired for very little money as parts are still available (unlike most CD players)

The Marantz players mentioned are OK transports and have been heavily modded / tweaked over the years.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:03:43 AM
My Proceed PCD is being used as a transport.  Even in 1990, the drawer was made of plastic.  The player makes a great transport.  But it looks odd.  It is taller than it is wide.

Offline braubeat

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:51:59 AM
Well, the philips  CD-50  and CD-60 have got to be some of the best ones ever made.
I got one around 20 years ago and it still sounds and works great.

Michael

Offline pro_crip

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:24:39 PM
I ended up grabbing a Phillips cd-471 off ebay for 10 bucks. The downside (there's always one of those)? It was a European model running on 220v. So I picked up one of those 110 to 220 transformers for about 20 bucks and ended up with a tda 1541 dac cdp with an okay transport for next to nothing. Most of my precious metal (and JSB) is on vinyl anyway so it's not my primary source. The lampizator looks a bit beyond my reach so one of these days I'll grab the diyhifi kit. I'm thinking maybe a little extra mass on the underside of the transport might give it some more stability.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up