Impressions?

dmhenley · 3394

Offline dmhenley

on: November 10, 2015, 04:45:00 PM
Hello!
Considering the StereomourII for my next kit.
Haven't seen many impressions posted here.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Thanks, Darren

Offline Karl5150

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 03:26:38 AM
I stepped up to the S II from SEX 2.1 mostly for a little x-tra headroom for my 94dB OBs. It takes a good long while to warm up but makes beautiful music. No golden ears but I know when something sounds right to me, and it definitely does. I really like the direction BH is taking with the PT-8 and volume/balance controls. I guess time will tell if I'm willing to give up the balance control, if required, for the promised upgrades that are in the works.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline dmhenley

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:10 AM
Thanks Karl - appreciate the insight.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 12:11:25 PM
I have the SEX 2.0 with All-Nickel MQ iron. I'm eyeing the Stereomour II as an upgrade, keeping the SEX as my main headphone amp. I'm assuming the upgrade would be a significant one.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:52:29 PM
Sam - and others - I believe I've said this in posts several months ago, but here it is again.

The new Stereomour is basically the same circuit and parts. Most of what's different is upgrade packages, many of which have not yet bee released - I was at Bottleheadquarters today and we discussed this a bit. The potential level control upgrade is only one of several.

Paul Joppa

Offline jjvornov

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:08 AM
Just finished my build of a new Stereomour II, replacing my original S.E.X. monoblocks and original Foreplay preamp. Happy to say that the amp checked out and worked from the first power up. Great directions- could do with some larger or higher res images in the manual though. I'm feeding it with a Meridian Explorer2 DAC out of my Macbook Pro. The speakers are my historic original ProAc Tablets which are now probably 25 years old. I've found the ProAcs are not extremely efficient, but they present a nice load to a tube amp, so as the amp goes to its power limits, the sound stays well behaved.

I can hear that the amp is still settling in during its first few hours, but the sound is really impressive. Its sharp, clear, quiet and balanced across the frequency spectrum. Very revealing through these little mini-monitors in a near-field desktop setting. Definitely not a "tube" sound. I can hear way into the mix and the imagining is really sharp with some nice 3-D depth to the sound.

I guess the old amps will go back on the shelf for now. They played a bit louder than the Stereomour but there's really no comparison as to sound.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 07:05:07 AM
The photos in the manual are high resolution; you can zoom in quite a lot with the Acrobat reader.

Paul Joppa

Offline chard

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 06:04:02 PM
 Great amp especially with good source material, very dynamic, excellent resolution and clarity. A well recorded album sounds live. The good thing about the stereomour is its an integrated amp so it doesn't need a preamp. You can connect it directly to your cd player or phono amp. A general rule in audio is the less stages the better. To get the best out of this amp you need high quality efficient speakers as it only puts out 3.5 watts per channel. The right speaker and speaker cabinet combination will provide more than enough volume and plenty of bass. 

Clifford Hard