Christmas music

aragorn723 · 2401

Offline aragorn723

on: November 25, 2015, 01:42:23 AM
With the holiday season on us now, has anyone started listening to Christmas music yet?  What are you favorite ones?

Dave

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:25 AM
Just saw Jim Brickman Comfort & Joy tour and had no idea how hilarious he is..  When he stopped playing to talk, normally I dont like it, but in this case it was VERY welcome as he was as funny as he was excellent at the piano...

And have to say  FINALLY FINALLY  I am back in the states and will be seeing (GOD willing) the Trans-Siberian  Orchestra  in Seattle this Saturday. ULTRA CHUFFED......

And to answer your question about Christmas music,  I LOVE it all, Nat King Cole , Ormandy, Percy etc... etc.... But since I grew up a rocker and love Savatage and Paul O'Neill, I have a special place in my heart for the AWESOME effort they have done with Trans-Siberian  Orchestra ever since 1997 and am FINALLY going to see them.....

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:31:36 AM
Cool, I hadn't thought of Jim Brickman, gonna have to look him up.  I recently saw a Christmas Triology album by them, might have to try that too  (got the Christmas eve and other stories one already).  Have you heard of this?  It would be cool to see them tour with Metallica!

Dave

Offline SteveH

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:01:34 AM
No Christmas music in my house until 1 December!

When we get to it, I prefer 'jazzier' stuff - Jacqui Naylor "Smashed for the Holidays" is a new favorite...

SteveH

Offline caffeinator

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 07:23:46 AM
My daughter is a huge fan of Christmas and Christmas music, so I've been hearing it for a few weeks or even a month now.  Fortunately, she likes similar Christmas favorites like older songs by Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Perry Como, and so on, as well as newer but classic takes on many of the same standards by Harry Connick, Jr., etc.

I did recently pick up a couple of new Christmas CDs - an extremely rare occurrence for me - one by Sarah McLachlan, the other by Blue Rodeo.  I haven't heard them yet - I'm kind of in the "not until after Thanksgiving" club on that.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  I hope all of you and all of yours have a great Thanksgiving, and a wonderful holiday season :)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:31:34 AM
No Christmas music in my house until 1 December!

When we get to it, I prefer 'jazzier' stuff - Jacqui Naylor "Smashed for the Holidays" is a new favorite...

SteveH

Me too. In fact I am so adamant about it that this year Jacqui will not be singing holiday songs at Bottleheadquarters until December 4th and 5th - live.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1684176885153049/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline SteveH

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:46:24 PM
I'd love to be there!  Too bad you're 2500 miles away :(

One day, perhaps.  For now, the CDs will have to do.

SteveH

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:11:50 PM
i used to be one of the "no Christmas music till after Thanksgiving" people too, but have been off work for the last week or so, and figured why not?  :)  There is something special about it, it puts you in a really good mood  8)

Dave

Offline Chris

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 01:11:58 PM
Just saw Trans Siberian  Orchestra in Seattle.. What an INCREDIBLE show!!!!!!! I was in the 10th row and we all got "fake" snowed on during one song.. haha  wow , what an extraordinary auditory and visual treat...  Best concert I have been to...  Everyone from all ages, and comments like, "they just keep getting better every year"... ABSOLUTELY will be a tradition every year for me from now on, IF I can manage to stay in the states...

Offline Chris

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 01:26:05 PM
"It would be cool to see them tour with Metallica!"

Metallica would most definitely have to open for TSO... Yeah, TSO's creators are certainly from the rock world..

In fact , you can see the "latest" members  from 1997's Savatage all playing on the original  "Ghosts of Christmas Eve" dvd on You Tube..

In the Seattle show, Al Pitrelli is the coordinator, lastly, he played with  Savatage and Megadeth.. Johnny  Lee Middleton was there, (Savatage),  and Jeff Scott Soto was singing as well..

On the East coast tour, you have Jon Oliva, Chris Caffery, Jeff Plate, Zac Stevens All from Savatage play.. And of course, the creator and head honcho Paul O'Neill has produced Savatage since 1987's Hall of the  Mountain King... They started TSO in 1997 for a Christmas Project and it immediately took off around the entire country and just grew into the incredible show that it is now...

I was talking to Johnny  Lee after the show and He said they are working on getting Savatage back up and running.. cool!... 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:38:04 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:49:12 PM
Check out the  link to see...."Winter Tour 2015: The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve" on You Tube...  and see them in your area....   AND NO!. I do not work for them in case you were wondering.. I just care about the bottleheaders well being and enjoyment this Christmas season... :)   

Offline Chris

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:48 PM
Funny thing and  "fitting probably also" is I was sitting next to a young couple who have been to the last 4 tours, with the first being their very first date together, and subsequently NOT their last "engaged" , as well as MANY other TSO veterans who

were "enough" older than myself , ALL of whom had NO idea what I was talking about with respect to who ACTUALLY the members are etc....   They just LOVED TSO and that was all that mattered, and could not figure out just why the entire Seattle

area is not coming to see the show EVERY year!!..  haha , that is what I was bombarded with from the OLDER TSO veterans.... So there is something for everybody to go and see for the Christmas season.. I LOVE the Seattle (Boeing Engineered Tree) and London's Nutcracker, and love it to be a tradition for me (when in country), well.... as I suspected from someone like Paul O'Neil....  The annual winter tour of TSO will HAVE to be a Christmas tradition as well.......