Jupiter HT paper/wax capacitors

borism · 6969

Offline borism

on: November 25, 2015, 02:29:18 PM
I am still working on my Stereomour. A while ago I put in interstage Jupiter copper foil paper/wax capacitors and found them to be detailed and full sounding, preferring them to Russian teflon (FT3), Mundorf s/o and Ampohm PIO.

Today, I received Jupiter HT flat stack 3.3 uf caps (from the partsconnexion sale) to replace Mundorf s/o coupling ones. While they are fresh out of the box and not burned in they seem to share the same detail and frequency extension as the copper foil interstage caps. The first impression is that they are smooth and very engaging and I like them.

They are much larger than the Mundorfs though. However, I will need to give them more time before any final conclusion.

Boris

Offline borism

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:30:18 PM
I have now about 50 hrs on the Jupiter flat stack capacitors and in my opinion they are better than the Mundorf silver/oil. While the price is comparable the Jupiter capacitors have a more natural tone and present a more realistic picture. It is not a huge difference but noticeable. Overall, my Stereomour is now better than ever. 8)

Boris

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 05:30:42 AM
I've always shied away from wax capacitors in tube amps due to heat. But it looks like Jupiter may have evolved to a point where this isn't an issue any longer. I might have to give them a try sometime.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:04:40 AM
I have now about 50 hrs on the Jupiter flat stack capacitors and in my opinion they are better than the Mundorf silver/oil. While the price is comparable the Jupiter capacitors have a more natural tone and present a more realistic picture. It is not a huge difference but noticeable. Overall, my Stereomour is now better than ever. 8)

That is a great description, more natural sounding to me too but they dont give anything up in terms of detail or resolution over the SIO's.  I have the HT flat stacked in three different amps, my preamp especially gets very got inside and it hasn't been an issue so far.  Last time i looked them up they are rated for the same temperature as the Munforf SIO.

M.McCandless

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:00:39 AM

That is a great description, more natural sounding to me too but they dont give anything up in terms of detail or resolution over the SIO's.  I have the HT flat stacked in three different amps, my preamp especially gets very got inside and it hasn't been an issue so far.  Last time i looked them up they are rated for the same temperature as the Munforf SIO.

Quick question to borism and/or mcandmar.  Any reason you chose the flat stacks over over the round copper foils, other than price?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:04:26 AM by Sugar Man »

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline mcandmar

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:43 AM
I believe the round versions are the newer style, and will replace the HT flat stacked. Only rounds i have used are .1uf in the S.E.X. so i have never done a side by side comparison. I have read comments from people who have tried both and say the older HT flat stacked sound better.  Given the choice, i would buy the flat stacked.

M.McCandless

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 07:51:43 AM
Thanks for the quick response.  Good to know. ;D

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i

Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline borism

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 07:59:03 AM
I also never directly compared the same value copper foil vs flat stacked. The price differential is significant and was my primary reason in choosing the flat stacked 3.3 uF capacitors.

Boris

Offline mcandmar

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:04 AM

M.McCandless

Offline borism

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 08:16:42 AM
The regular HT round capacitors don't come in 3.3 uF and only go up to 2.2 uF as far as I know.

Boris

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:52:49 AM
Okay, I've got a full case of upgrade-itis.  Just ordered a pair of 0.47uF Mundorf Silver Oils and a pair of 1.5uF Jupiter HT Flat Packs which I am going to have a shoot-out with in my Eros.  I went 1.5uF instead of 1.0uF because I want to also try the Flat Pack in my Stereomour II.  PJ says elsewhere that the nominal value for the Stereomour is 2.5, so 1.25 would be as low as he would recommend.  Also picked up a pair of 0.1uF HT Rounds for the Stereomour as well.  Since I also have a Seduction, the losing boutique will likely go there.  I went through Sonic Craft, because they had the Jupiters discounted.  Can't wait.  I reported elsewhere that I recently auditioned a pricey Music First 462 phono preamp that had Mundorf Supremes and it sounded really good in my system.

Can anyone point me to a capacitor break in method?  I know Grainger had a link a while back, but it no longer works.  Would love to give these some burn in before installation to help avoid the dreaded realtime break in mind games.

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i

Blumenstein Orcas & Subs