Kaiju with lower-efficiency speakers

dave-tx · 3343

Offline dave-tx

on: November 30, 2015, 03:30:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I know the answer from reading the specs, but thought I'd ask anyway...How practical is the Kaiju strapped for driving something like a 86-87dB Magneplanar speaker? 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:31 AM
My usual estimate is the ability to generate 102dB peaks. At 16 watts (12dBW) that means speakers of 90dB efficiency.

This approximation comes from a compilation of Stereophile speaker reviews over a few years, in the late 90s; it is the minimum of their recommended power range. So I say this is good for "most audiophiles, most of the time."

For the median audiophile, you might get away with 6dB less efficiency, so 84dB minimum. This is mostly a combination of not needing exceptional loudness, and the fact that SETs overload really gracefully, so minor clipping is not objectionable. (High feedback and/or solid state amps have very hard clipping, so even minor amounts are quite objectionable.) Room size and absorptive treatments also play a role.

Sorry, that puts you in unclear territory - it's a judgement call.

Paul Joppa

Offline dave-tx

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:42:45 AM
Thanks, Paul - You're right, it's a little unclear territory, but I'm inclined to give it a try.  I'm really itching to do a build and this is the excuse I'm looking for.  I can always work on more efficient speakers later, if needed.

I'm assuming the DC filament supply would likely be unnecessary with low-efficiency speakers, so I'll skip that for now.

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:02:48 PM
We have many customers running 88dB efficient FE83 based speakers on their 3.5W Stereomour amplifiers without complaints (though in some cases the 0.3V signal available from a cell phone or DVD player necessitates a preamplifier). 

The Magnepans are just a hair less efficient, but are also a mostly resistive load, so the extra power should put you in a similar territory.

We would be very surprised if the DC filament upgrade was audible in your setup.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:28:55 AM
FWIW, with my ~95db speakers. My SR-45 Amp 45's or 2A3 with 2.5V filaments. The hum is virtually inaudible, unless I put my ear to the speaker. When I switch to 300B, with 5V, I can hear a little hum at the listening position when no music is playing...John     

John Scanlon

Offline drewh1

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:26:02 AM
FYI. I have a barely audible hum on mids, Tweeters r silent.  My speakers are 92db. I am going to install the DC filament supply because I  will be using Eml's.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline dave-tx

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 09:30:27 AM
For the record...The Kaiju as a monoblock sounds amazing with Magneplanar 2.7QR speakers.  If anyone has the same doubts that I did when I started this thread, you can lose them now.  Your milage may vary, but I'm nothing less than thrilled.

Offline quad

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 07:31:46 AM
I know this post was ages ago... but what did you configure the kaiju output impedance selector for the magneplanars?