OPT tab question

ee · 2010

Offline ee

on: December 17, 2015, 02:58:38 AM
I have had a bit of intermittent static mainly when power on in my right channel since I built my amp about a year ago. It's an initial moderate amount of static for a few seconds and then is intermittent every few minutes. Not intrusive to music playing so it's very tolerable.  It's been addressed here before, I've resoldered everything atleast 3x, tightened ground lugs, more, and anything that occurs to me that I could try to address the issue.
Last night I decide to change the orientation of the OPT primary lead on tab 5 for the right speaker so it went forward towards the terminal strip. It was soldered to the front of the tab so I moved it to the side of the tab.
When I was moving the wire I saw that the tab itself was wiggling pretty loosely in the plastic bobbin. I wasn't excessively heating the tab but the solder under the bobbin was apparently melting as quick as the tab/wire joint. I didn't pull out on the tab it just moves side to side that I'm aware of. I am wondering what kind of connection the tab has to the wires inside the bobbin if anything other that solder. Is it crimped or something where I can try to make it tight. I still don't know if this is the issue just a possibility that I haven't dealt with. I don't want to mess with the OPT blindly and mess it up.
Thanks
Eric

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:41:12 AM
If the tab has melted and is loose, you're likely holding the iron on there too long, or more likely just using way too much solder (don't try to fill the hole).

You can shore up that tab with some JB weld, and I would do so before performing any other work on the amplifier.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ee

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:54:45 AM
got it thx

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD