Bypass Paramount Power Supply Electrolytics

AudioDave · 2892

Offline AudioDave

on: January 10, 2016, 11:07:06 AM
In a previous post from a few years back it was suggested to bypass the last 2 power supply caps on the Paramount power supply circuit board (Gnd to +460v)  That person used a 3.3uF 630V film cap.   I have a couple of 0.47 / 600V teflons and was wondering if those would be good for bypassing?
Thanks!
Dave

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:01:06 PM
This is a parafeed design. The last cap in the PS isn't as critical as it is in a series feed amp. The parafeed cap takes its place. Focus on it and be thankful that the Panasonics that come with the kit are good and cheap!

Aaron Johnson

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:19 AM
I added 0.22uF Teflon Kommie Kaps to my son's Paramounts and I can definitely hear a reduction in the small ammount of sizzle and splash in the extreme treble. We are listening through Fostex drivers, including supertweeters. All coupling caps are Obligato Gold and the cathode bias cap is an Audio Note Kaisei (supposed to be the nearest modern offering to Black Gates).
Pictures here http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8733.0.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline AudioDave

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:24:41 AM
Thanks John!    Just so I am clear,  you bypassed the last 2 caps on the power supply board with the 0.22 uF Teflon Kommie cap?
Thanks!
Dave

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:26:31 AM
Thanks John!    Just so I am clear,  you bypassed the last 2 caps on the power supply board with the 0.22 uF Teflon Kommie cap?
Thanks!
Dave
Yes. The twisted pair in the last picture goes to the 450V tracks where the HT wires poke through the top of the PSU board. To find the foil nearest the can, I put my DMM to the megohm scale and put one probe on the can. Dabbing one terminal gave no reading and the other a brief variable reading. The one which gave the reading goes to ground.

John
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core

Offline AudioDave

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 01:12:40 PM
This might be a dumb question but its not my first and definitely not my last.  Instead of connecting the bypass cap at the power supply circuit board,  could I connect it at the end of the 5" TTP at 17U and 16U?  That would sure make it easier to install!
Thanks!
Dave

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:42:22 PM
Sorry, have been away from the forum for a while.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't connect at the terminal strip. I chose the PSU board for a shorter wire run. I strongly advise twisting the wires as shown in my picture, though.

John