Empire 208 Turntable

Maxwell_E · 9607

Offline Maxwell_E

on: July 11, 2010, 06:04:36 AM
They seem to be the rage in DIY tables these days. Ever since I saw and heard Doc's Paschetto 208 I have been in love with the simplicity and rock solid, "they-don't-build-em-like-they-used-to" construction. And the sound is awesome, but I'm guessing the SME tonearm helps a little. But I'm curious to know if even in all their stock glory, if they're still a good turntable for the money. There's two on eBay right now, one for 300 and a NIB for about 600. Right now I've got a refurbished Kenwood KD3070 direct drive, I think from about 76(?) with a Shure M97XE, and I'm wondering if the 208's are an upgrade from what I have now.

Here are the tables on eBay. The first one has been relisted, the seller couldn't get the 400 he wanted last week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-60s-EMPIRE-208-STEREO-TURNTABLE-/270592967516?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f0099035c#ht_821wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMPIRE-208-3-speed-Turntable-near-MINT-/360279478927?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53e254928f#ht_895wt_1137

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:33:43 AM
Each table has a different sound to it as do the arms and carts combined with it.  I imagine Doc's has gone through many stages and he has settled on a sound that works for him.   If you are mechanically inclined and enjoy tinkering then pick up that old Empire or an old idler and have fun for cheap.  More than likely the Empire is the latest FOTM though it it probably a great sounding table as many older tables are.

I rebuilt a Thorens TD 124 and invested quite a lot into it.  The table sounds wonderful and much different than other tables I've owned.  The 124 is in storage at the moment and my DD table is used exclusively.  Other than having the option of the 124 I don't miss it compared to the ease and wonderful sound of the DD table. 

If you are going to pick up any old table that hasn't been rebuild I highly recommend that the table has a good following and support forum, you know someone who can restore the table at a good price or you know what you

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:50:09 AM
More than likely the Empire is the latest FOTM though it it probably a great sounding table as many older tables are.

Well, off the top of my head I've had two TD124s, a TD160, a Lenco, another old rim drive or two, A Denon DP6000 (their top of the line direct drive), a Bix, a Systemdek, a modified Oracle Delphi, and an Analog Engineering The Turntable. The Turntable was awesome, better than all of the others. When Mike told me the remodeled Empire was even better I had to hear it. IMO he was right and I have been using it for the past few years.

My process for deciding this may be different than others. I have a phono preamp that is identical the the repro amp I use with my Nagra T, except for the eq curve. So to make a judgment about any changes to the turntable I will usually put on an original pressing of one of the albums we have released in the Tape Project and A/B the sound of the TP master dupe playing on the Nagra vs the original LP on the vinyl rig.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:01:26 AM
I can't think of a better way to make adjustments Doc.  Too bad I can't afford that method at the moment! 

Nothing against the Empire, I bought my 124 when it was in the FOTM status after Art started publishing his love for it in Stereophile.  Could have bought a few 208's for what I paid for it.  Maybe I'll pick one up to tinker with.....

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:32:46 AM
Take a look at an old Bottlehead's page on his Empire.  I have heard it and it is exceptional!

pRC's Beautiful Empire Turntable

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:06:46 PM
Thanks for the link! 

Aaron Johnson