Bandwidth

kumasan · 2564

Offline kumasan

on: January 30, 2016, 04:14:01 AM
Can anyone confirm the bandwith of 16Hz to 34kHz at -3dB from the product page which is the exact same as for the Paramount. I think there is a tendency for higher bandwith as the quality of the transformers rise. At least many of the very expensive 300B amps have higher bandwith. With the upgrade in iron I expected a higher bandwith.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:57:44 AM
That may be a typo on the Paramount page, PJ will have to confirm since he has the notes for both amps. 

As far as our amps vs. "very expensive 300B amps", one can use a cheap transformer and feedback all over the place to increase the bandwidth, so ymmv. 

My recollection is that the Kaiju offers about an extra half octave of bass, both in the actual frequency response, as well as lower THD in that region. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 11:00:33 AM
We'll have to make the measurements - I modified the design of the transformer one last time, after the production prototype (the one in the manual) was built, and I don't have in-circuit performance data yet. It's possible that the quoted performance was measured with the prototype - I am not sure. The modification should have increased the HF cutoff frequency to slightly above 40kHz.

For what it's worth, there are many subtle things that affect the perceived sound quality at high frequencies. Greater HF bandwidth is readily available, but it usually comes at the price of these other considerations.

Paul Joppa