Cartridge recommendations for Rega RB250 and DIY turntable with Seduction

Pfenning · 7155

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
So I'm in the market for a new cartridge because of an overly excited 6 year old son that loves when we listen to vinyl. My Dynavector 20x now has an angled needle. I bought the 20x used years ago, and don't have much experiance with other any other cartridges. While I'm down I think I will send my RB250 in for a rewire. I want to stay in the $250 (or less) range for a cartridge unless there's a killer in the $300's. I listen to rock and blues mainly, through my Bottlehead system (Paramours & Foreplay). Let me know what you think, the bigger bang fror the buck the better. I forgot to mention my 20x was high output, so no low output MC please.

Thanks, Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Paully

I just bought the Denon DL-160.  Easily under your price range.  Can't tell you what I think of the sound yet but I mention it as one you can look up and do some research as it is one of those that gets lots (and I do mean lots) of press and recommendations as one of the best cartridge values.

Offline mingles

• My system
Your Dynavector 20X is an excellent sounding cartridge. I don't think it's possible to match its performance with your budget. If I were in your shoes, I'd have it rebuilt by Soundsmith. Peter is one of the best in the industry. The only drawback is the turnaround time -- it can take up to 6 months. But the results are fantastic.

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

I recommend the Ruby Cantilever with Nude Contact Line Diamond for $250

Offline Grainger49

I also vote for "retipping."  That is getting the cantilever and stylus replaced with your old generator.  That might hit the $300 mark.  But it is worth investigating.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Got my cartridge back from Soundsmith. They did a wonderful job. Just mounted it yesterday and the low end is a little lacking of punch, but I assume some break in is going to occur. Mids and high are beyond my expectations. I picked up a spin clean record washer, and have washed everything before I played it. I think it does a hell of a job for $100. It is manual, but easy to use for sure. Thanks for all the help guys.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs