Noise issues with Crack [resolved]

Patrick_P · 3653

Offline PedroB

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 03:50:11 PM
Hello, I know it is an old topic but I am having exactly the same problem with my crack (with speedball). A high pitched noise, that starts a few minutes after turning the amp on, on both channels, even with volume at zero and with the RCA cables disconnected. If I crack the volume all the way a static noise becomes quite loud. So the main problem may be the tubes? in this case, which one?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 04:01:48 PM
If I crack the volume all the way a static noise becomes quite loud.
See FAQ #5

https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=4295.0

Noise that varies with the position of the volume pot is not indicative of a tube issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline PedroB

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 04:05:35 PM
The high pitch noise does not vary with the volume, it is the same from 0 to about 80% volume. Above that, another noise (static) becomes audible.
The static noise with high volume is no problem at all, I just mentioned it because Patck said "PS: I can now crank up the volume all the way without hearing any kind of noise at all. Before changing the tubes, it seemed that the noise floor would get amplified a lot by cranking up the volume. Complete silence now. Maybe that's a good pointer for someone else who's wondering."
I just checked my voltages again, they are all ok (I have been using the amp for one and a half years).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:31:57 PM by PedroB »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 05:17:29 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man