Bottlehead DAC Problem

AudioDave · 3253

Offline AudioDave

on: March 03, 2016, 08:15:52 AM
I have the Bottlehead DAC & BottleBatt  in my system and have maybe 30 hours of playing time on the DAC.  The DAC is connected to my Denon AR1650 CD player using the digital coax S/PDIF input on the DAC.   DAC outputs are then connected to my Bottlehead BeePre.   Before playing a CD the DAC shows 44.1 in the display as it should.   When a CD is started,  beautiful beautiful music comes out of my Straight 8's!!  Incredible!   This beautiful music can go on for an hour, 30 minutes, or 10 minutes and then horrible distortion,  tinny echoey sound,  it is hard to describe.   Occasionally the distortion will occur for a few seconds and then goes back to good sound, but usually not, I have to switch the BottleBatt to off and then back on and have good music for a period of time and then distorted sound again.   I have run the DAC on Batt/Charge and Batt only with the same results.   I typically turn the DAC off when not in use,   but I did try leaving it on for 24 hours before playing music and had the same problem with distorted sound.  Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any suggestions?  Is the DAC just getting "broke in"?
Thanks!
Dave

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:37:46 AM
When you had the battery on charge only (was it on charge only?) for 24 hours did the charging light ever go out?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AudioDave

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:41:56 AM
Yes,  the red charge light went out completely

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:49:06 AM
Have you tried running the DAC straight from the line lump, without the battery supply?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AudioDave

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:53:00 AM
No, I haven't.   I will give that a try tonight and let you know how it goes.
Thanks Doc!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:15 AM
Keep us posted. It kind of sounds like the battery is not fully charged so I am guessing that the DAC will run from the line lump OK. If that is the case we have found that a couple of days in charge only mode sometimes seems to sort of wake a battery up.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AudioDave

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:52:24 PM
I played the DAC from the line lump and and it played for 31 minutes before the distortion started.  Have tried everything I can think of with no luck.  It seems like the DAC is self correcting more and more, ie I don't have to turn it off and back on to get good music. 

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 04:21:14 PM
Do you have another source you could try? And maybe a different cable?

Offline AudioDave

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 03:32:53 AM
Good suggestion.   I have kept the Denon AR1650 as the source and removed the digital coax and switched to a toslink cable.  I'll let you know how it goes!
Dave

Offline AudioDave

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 05:59:50 AM
Well,  I have been playing perfect music for 2-1/2 hours now with the toslink with no problems! 
Dave