Houston, we have a problem...Naaa, just a typo.

ebag4 · 4438

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 07:30:50 AM
I believe we have a typo on the 2nd instruction on page 64, I beleive it should read D8 not D2.  If I'm wrong please let me know.
Yes indeed, that looks to be a typo.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline drewh1

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 01:44:59 PM
Ed - It looks as though I am having the same issue with fuses blowing at the stage of doing the HV measurements. I bought some wanted 2 amp fuses but all Radio Shack had in stock were 3 amp. I am wondering where you ended up with fuse rating when everything was done? 

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 03:12:12 PM
Hi drew, sorry to hear that.  I am currently running a 3, but I did try a 1.6 after it had played the first night, it blew immediately.  I have purchased some 2 amp fast and slow blow but I haven't tried them yet.

All of my measurements were well within tolerance with the exception of the test with 1% tolerance which was 1 volt off.  I had seen no issues with it, it is still breaking in but has moments of excellence.  I just installed new caps so they will take a bit to break in as well.

If you try the larger fuses just be ready to kill power like Josh mentioned.

Good luck!

Ed

Edit: it took the 2 amp slow blow.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:32:22 PM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline drewh1

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 03:27:24 PM
Thanks Ed - Like I said, glad you went through this first!  BTW, those CAPS look great - sorry to hear the Jupiter Copper broke, they get very good reviews.  I got Vcaps Cutf for the .1 uf and am thinking Mundorf Silver/Oil for the 10uf. Just can't afford the S/G/O though they get very good reviews.

I'll test with the 3A's. Doc suggested 2A slow blows. I didn't get them because I didn't think I should use slow blow's.  I'll know tonight when I get home and try the fuse. I triple checked all the connections, so I am pretty sure it is not a short or a miss wire but you never know. I'll let you know what happens.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver