questions about using an eros in my system

Jay · 2497

Offline Jay

on: March 19, 2016, 11:22:25 AM
Hi folks,
I presently have a lomc cart going into a Lehmann black cube statement going into a Marantz 6006 going into a pair of Rogers studio 1 speakers.  I'm looking hard at the Eros and have questions.

If I replace the Lehmann with an Eros and a stepup transformer, will their quality and character be lost in the Marantz?  Is it reasonable to expect the goodness of the Eros to shine through the ss amp?

If I get the Eros, I think i would prefer to mount the transformers inside the chassis. Fewer interconnects, cleaner look.  Would the Jensen JT-347-AXT which about 1.5 x 2 inches fit?  It seems to be a good match for the Eros at 1:12.  Also considering Cinemag 1254 wired for 1:10.  These are smaller and a bit less expensive than the Jensen 347s.  Parts express has Jensen JT-115K-E Premium Microphone Input Transformer 1:10 for even less money.  When I look at a schematic, I might as well be looking at a depiction of an ancient greek wheat harvest.  Would people give me some guidance wiring it up? Is it possible to add a set of inputs or a switch for easy swapping between mm and mc cartridges?

I considered getting a Stereomour first, but would need to get more efficient speakers too, so it seems to me that the Eros would be a better way to get the ball rolling.  Any comments on the most rational order in which to upgrade components would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jay

Jay L.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:00:38 PM
You will be able to hear the difference with the Eros through the Marantz amp. I would recommend putting the step up transformer in a separate chassis. Proximity to the Eros power transformer or any other power transformer is counter intuitive to getting the best possible signal to noise ratio. If you have the transformers in a separate box you can move that box around in relation to the other gear, to find a spot with the lowest possible noise pickup. Just a couple inches or a few degrees of rotation can make a big difference in how black the background is.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jay

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:20:02 PM
Thank you Doc.  Separate chassis it is then.

Jay L.

Offline Jay

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:05:29 PM
I ordered my Eros.  I plan to read the manual a time or two before it gets here.

So. seeing as how I'm going to use a separate chassis for my sut, I'm thinking the Parks Audio Budgie Cinemag at 1:9 looks good, and is not that much more expensive than the parts I would have to buy to build one myself.  Has anybody out there used one of these with an Eros?
Jay

Jay L.

Offline Adrian

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:35 PM
Take a look at Rothwell SUTs for comparison:
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/index.html

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Chris65

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:09 PM
So. seeing as how I'm going to use a separate chassis for my sut, I'm thinking the Parks Audio Budgie Cinemag at 1:9 looks good, and is not that much more expensive than the parts I would have to buy to build one myself.  Has anybody out there used one of these with an Eros?

I built a SUT using the same Cinemag 3440AH transformers for about $160. Works very well with my Reduction. ;)

Offline Jay

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:27:28 PM
Reading the manual reminds me of a line from the movie "Field of Dreams" when Archie is at bat.  The ump tells him "watch out you don't get killed"  Ok, really now I am posting so I can be upgraded from Newbie to junior.  :)

Jay L.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:41:06 PM
You make me chuckle. A while back someone sent me a very incensed PM about his being labeled Newbie when he started posting on the forum. He explained that he was insulted and quite certain that his many years of building audio gear automatically qualified him for senior membership on the forum. I tried to explain that it was just a canned feature of the forum software, simply meant he was new to the forum and not to electronics, that no one paid any attention to it anyway, and that it would change with a few posts. No dice! Either I changed the forum software to accommodate him or he was going to do business with someone else.

I don't know if he is still lurking here, but I hope he is having a good time wherever he ended up.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.