Construction tip - LEDs on nine pin socket

Doc B. · 24822

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 02:23:16 PM
just the smallest bit of solder holding them
This is really the key, it doesn't take much to do the job, especially when you're attaching the LED's to tiny pieces of metal like tube socket pins, which heat up in a hurry.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 01:33:17 PM
Any way to order 2 of the LEDs from BH? (assuming for a reasonable price). I soldered mine rather tight, and I would like to "do it right".

This space for rent

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:29 PM
You can order a pack of five LEDs here: http://bottlehead.com/product/hlmp-6000-leds/
The other three are worth having around for backup.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:36 PM
You can order a pack of five LEDs here: http://bottlehead.com/product/hlmp-6000-leds/
The other three are worth having around for backup.

Most awesome and very reasonably priced! Many thanks.

This space for rent

Offline cabcabaret

Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 12:22:50 AM
I had a problem which turned out to be caused by this: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=10120.0

It's not just a nice idea, it's quite important!

Offline Stillhart

Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 05:16:06 AM
So some feedback:  you might want to include a spare of these in the kits going forward.  They're super flimsy and clearly they break enough that you have a page for selling replacements.  I'd be fine spending an extra couple of dollars on the kit to avoid having to wait days (and pay shipping) for a replacement of something that's extremely likely to break.

Offline CapnCook

Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 09:10:49 AM
So some feedback:  you might want to include a spare of these in the kits going forward.  They're super flimsy and clearly they break enough that you have a page for selling replacements.  I'd be fine spending an extra couple of dollars on the kit to avoid having to wait days (and pay shipping) for a replacement of something that's extremely likely to break.

I second this. I struggled getting the leads into the center pin, and one of the leads fell off just from the bending it took. I would rather have paid the extra $5 at order time. and even saved on the additional shipping (net $1.50). I ordered the five pack - glad its available. But, now I have to wait for the replacements to arrive to continue. Getting the ground from the POT and the two LED leads in the same hole, ensuring the slack, all inside the small octet has been the toughest task thus far.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 02:53:32 PM
We are happy to ship extra LEDs with kits if buyers decide to order them at the same time. Some builders may find a need for them, but others may not want to arbitrarily pay extra for them. We sell far more kits than we do LED packets, which tends to indicate not everyone finds the need for extras. The option to have them available online so that one can add them to a kit order seems like the most democratic way to address this.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.