Successful build

pduk · 2961

Offline pduk

on: March 28, 2016, 07:55:13 AM
I finally finished the build today (it's a public holiday here in the UK over Easter) and... it works! I had one scary moment with a blown fuse when doing the high voltage test, and it turned out I'd fitted a capacitor backwards, but no harm done.

Early days yet but I am hearing detail I've not heard before, and it feels like the band is in the room with me. Thanks very much, all at Bottlehead. I really enjoyed putting the kit together.

Paul.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:00:01 AM
Congrats!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:08:24 PM
Congratulations!  Interesting that it sounds like you are still running the 1.5 amp fuse.  Your transformer wiring will differ from the states I assume, that may have come into play.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline pduk

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:32:52 PM
Hi Ed,

Actually I blew the 1.5 amp fuse during assembly due to an error but had already bought a pack of 2 amp slow blow in anticipation of any issues, having read the remarks here. The 2 amp went in once I'd put the capacitor in the right way round, so the answer is unknown. I may pick up a 1.5 again and try it at some point.

Cheers

P.

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:55 AM
Hi Ed,

Actually I blew the 1.5 amp fuse during assembly due to an error but had already bought a pack of 2 amp slow blow in anticipation of any issues, having read the remarks here. The 2 amp went in once I'd put the capacitor in the right way round, so the answer is unknown. I may pick up a 1.5 again and try it at some point.

Cheers

P.
Thanks for the clarification, 2 amp slo blo is what I had to use in mine as well.

Best,
ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline pduk

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:18:15 PM
Just sharing this picture that I took last night after listening to the frankly amazing new King Crimson live album. And yes, I have done lots of reading about "the blue glow". Hopefully all is well... it started a few hours after initial use. Everything sounds wonderful.

Paul.

Offline drewh1

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:24:24 AM
After a couple of weeks my Eml's still have a slight blue glow and it sounds better and better.  I don't think there is any problem

Coincidently I was listening to king crimson's Zoom. Last night. Would love t find a Hi res digital version of "in the court"

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:22:03 AM
Hmmm... A couple of King Crimson fans eh? Oddly enough I was just listening to "Red" the other night. I've always liked anything with John Wetton.

Offline pduk

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:56:19 AM
Just reporting back... I received the DC filament upgrade kit today after it spent a brief spell trapped in customs. It was a very easy hours work, the amp works fine, and is now absolutely silent. Interrestingly the blue glow I reported earlier in the 300Bs has now gone completely. Anecdotally tbe bass seems a lot better, but the CD I;m listening to right now is bass heavy so it might be coincidence.

Offline fritzthecat

• Analog Chris - Fritzthecat
    • Lakeside Audio Association
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:21:14 AM
So in the end I got there as well - at least it looks like at the moment... :P

yippie - I just finished my first Kaiju with stock parts - have a second kit just waiting to get assembled - but for this one I will use some other caps and way more silver wiring - everything I need just arrived two days ago... Curious about the difference

After adjusting hum balance I get 7 mV on the left and 5 mV on the right channel - seems more or less okay.

I did not yet install the DC filament upgrade - looking forward to that...;o) But first I'll let it run a while and listen to some music...

I just put it in its chassis...;o) looks nice.

I am using EH 300bs, I had around anyway - got the EH 300b gold and a matched pair of PSVane mesh plate 300b N (as far as I know they do meet the standard 300b specs as well, maybe I'll try these later on beside someone tells me not to.

So far no smoke or strange sound so I go on listening...

so long and thanx for advising the crazy newbie from switzerland.

Cheers and a great weekend to everybody

Chris

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
Apple Mac Pro / Media Center 23
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
AN Kits L3 Phono / Bottlehead EROS
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)
Silvercore 833C for (Klipschorn/Crites)