I love this amp

glynnw · 3293

Offline glynnw

on: April 02, 2016, 05:33:24 PM
I just got my Seductor back from Chez Bottlehead where one of my voltage check explosions was repaired.  This amp absolutely rocks.  For years I used my Bottlehead 300B  Paramounts, finally getting bored when I had done every mod I knew of to them.  In my search for a replacement, I found I loved the sound of the EL84 tube.  I bought 3 amps, 2 with EL84s and 1 using 6V6, which was a model that replaced that mftrs EL84 model.  After much anguish I chose the 6V6 amp and thought I was set for another 10 years.  Then Bottlehead goes and announces their EL84 amp.  I bought it just for fun - how could it possibly sound as good as my current amp, right?  Maybe it's because my taste runs to rock&roll and the EL84 is a very dynamic tube, but after a day of listening to it I love it.  How in the heck can 4 watts play loud like that (helps that my speakers are 95 dB efficient)?  I urge anyone on the line to just buy it and build it and see for yourself.  This does not sound like a budget amp.- it fits right into the rest of my gear.  Color me happy.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline maryc27182

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 05:37:30 PM
Yeah, EL84 is really nice! I don't have a Seductor (yet?); I have an Almarro a205a that I picked up used (it had been sloppily triode-strapped, but I took it back to the default pentode w/ feedback--I like it that way.) I have a couple guitar amps w/ EL84 as well. Totally agree with you: nice nice tube.

I'll probably build a Seductor once I get the extra cash, and get done building other stuff (currently have a Stereomour running 45s, and a S.E.X., and have a guitar amp in the works, as well as a couple of cabinets in planning stages.)

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline frank bare

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:13:03 AM
Sounds like the Seductor and the EL 84s are a knockout. I started out with a pr of Quickie/Quicksand's and like you said, how can so much sound come out of 4w? I have a pr of 86db 3" Fountek 85's full range/cross over to a PSB sub. The combo scare the daylights out of me with the imaging. Amazing combo with the Bhead package.

I want to step up I think to the Seductor at some point. Thanks for the update,
Bare