Seduction hum, buzz and sound quality issues

rebbi · 29427

Offline rebbi

Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 03:23:09 AM
   .  .  .    With the shorting plugs on the inputs of the Seduction, I get a rather loud "whooshing" noise in both channels,  . . . .   

As others have mentioned the "whooshing" noise could be the tubes.  Give them a four day run without anything else turned on and see if it goes away.

Hi again, Grainger,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not worried about the whooshing noise; that seems to only appear when the shorting plugs are on the Seduction inputs. I'm gonna take a few days off from this so I don't break any gear in frustration, and then go back at it in the New Year.   >:(

Offline rebbi

Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 06:08:12 AM
Okay, here's the latest.

Haven't yet had the chance to look at the underside of the TT, but I did contact Kirk and Donna at SOTA.

Donna said that this type of noise is almost always a tonearm/cartridge problem of some sort. If I cannot find someone local to look at it, they offered to troubleshoot it. I'd have to pack up the arm attached to the arm board and ship it back to them.

So that's where I am.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:54 AM
Hi have you tried twisting your RCA interconnect cables together? This cleared up similar noise and hum I was picking up with my amp (Crack, not seduction) after fitting the speedball (which I think has similar purpose to the C4S) it became more sensitive to outside interference. Its quick and easy to try.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline rebbi

Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 04:32:05 PM
Well, Gang, after about 4 years of intermittent fiddling, I finally have my problem solved!   ;D

Donna of SOTA was correct when she said that problems like the one I was describing were nearly always a tonearm issue. I took my entire 'table to Mike of austinstereo.com. He fixed the issue in a couple of hours.

Turns out the grounding wire in the tonearm cable had broken somewhere, so there was no real ground. So Mike snipped the old wire and created a new one. Additionally, he told me that the hum lessened but didn't completely vanish with the new ground wire, so he unmounted the Linn Basik LVX tonearm and tightened all the hardware, including some loose bits that help to ground the arm. That finished the job.

So, in the end, the issue had nothing at all to do with the Seduction.

I suppose I should mention, by the way, that I bought this arm used in 1986, so I guess I should've checked this first.   ::)

Many thanks to all of you who helped along the way!   :)  Now to install the Russian Teflon cap that mingles sent me 5 years ago.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:33:47 PM by rebbi »