Battleship 'Brick' Quickie!

paulw · 2771

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:25 PM
Just thought I'd post a picture of my rebuilt Quickie, which I've been very happy with since completion almost a year ago now.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi142.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr81%2F4will8%2Faudio%2FDSCF7391_zpsrsurdhv7.jpg&hash=06f2ab39f15b7171944d9c88a1e138a8187fa6cd)

Really solid alloy case, with tubes mounted horizontally internally within sprung loaded screening cans - I don't get any microphonics anymore ;D

Also decided to make it a single input as I had a rather nice switch box to hand.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi142.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr81%2F4will8%2Faudio%2FDSCF7392a_zpsrsgyisqh.jpg&hash=a0c8d0d20c55b8fae21716f2362304cbef03513b)

Certainly well worth the effort from my perspective, even if it does look a bit 'industrial'

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:11:08 PM
Nice work, great to see other people experimenting with the Quickie. I don't know if 'industrial' is the right word for it, but i certainly wouldn't try and take it through airport security :)

M.McCandless

Offline boulos

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:22:15 PM
Nice!  Obligatory: internal pics please?

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:51:56 PM
Nice!  Obligatory: internal pics please?

Only got a rather fuzzy one, but you get the idea.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi142.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr81%2F4will8%2Faudio%2FDSCF7919a_zps95bvn6pt.jpg&hash=05e593bba38fec777c996ef23387c67194a28cf9)

change the layout and design several times, hence it's a bit messy, also as there are so few components it is quite cheap to try different parts to see if they effect SQ - IMO most didn't!  In the end I think apart from the switch, RCA sockets & 9V battery holders everything ended up being changed.

Paul

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:40 AM
Hi Paul I've been following your posts on the Wam nice to get a close up of the inside of your Quickie.
How is the Smash working out for you?

Cheers
Jamie

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:41:14 AM
Hi Paul I've been following your posts on the Wam nice to get a close up of the inside of your Quickie.
How is the Smash working out for you?

Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie, the Smash is proving a bit of a curates egg, you can tell there is a great Pre trying to escape, but it never quite makes it!  I'm taking it for its first public outing at Simon's bake-off on Sunday so will get a chance to try it with a variety of other equipment.  I've also ordered the Smash-up(grade) so will get to hear it at its full potential later.

Paul

Paul Williams

4krow

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 04:35:15 PM
 "Quote"  mcandmar
Nice work, great to see other people experimenting with the Quickie. I don't know if 'industrial' is the right word for it, but i certainly wouldn't try and take it through airport security :)
[/quote]
  I took a sound pressure meter through security once. Now THERE'S something to get excited about! Almost missed my flight.

Offline mortron

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 05:45:37 AM
I use some 6XAA battery packs to make 9V cells for my Quickie.

The batteries I was using were $10 CDN for 48. This worked out to two batches of batteries. They took forever to die... so long that I had used most of the second batch by then on all the other projects around the house :P

The D cells seem to have a decent amount of life on them and have never strayed from the name brand cells.

All that said, I am considering some rechargeable batteries for an off grid system I would like to complete... I look forward to seeing what's suggested as I plan on having an amplifier on batteries as well.

Offline ewingfox

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:59:01 AM
I love this build!

a few questions - is that a Noble Pot for the volume?  If not,what did you use?  secondly, the two 5 tab guys - any reason why you have the parallel busses running between  them, or am I just misinterpreting the photo?

E

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 12:03:28 PM
I love this build!

a few questions - is that a Noble Pot for the volume?  If not,what did you use?  secondly, the two 5 tab guys - any reason why you have the parallel busses running between  them, or am I just misinterpreting the photo?

E

The pot is an Alps Blue - having had a few exotic pots to try I now stick with these.  As to the parallel busses, the wiring was put together on the hoof as it were and I allowed myself the option to have a bit of space when putting in the components so it would be easier to try a few different ones without disturbing the others - so absolutely no real reason to have them there at all.  Also, don't tell anyone but I'm pretty clueless about all this stuff...

Paul

Paul Williams

Offline ewingfox

Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 07:12:34 AM
Paul -

Love it!  I assume the Alps Pot is the ALPS-64605?  Also, I'm more used to working with tons of AC and high voltage, where parallel wires got tricky with weird interference - wasn't sure if you were working some awesome audio-monk super mojo :)

Those output caps look pretty sexy as well - what are you using there?  I have a quickie (x2) coming my way - so I'm not building a clone - but if those big caps made a difference I'll make sure to leave room for em'!

E