5 kits available

mmmml · 4047

Offline dmhenley

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 01:56:13 PM
I've some EL34 variants gathering dust...just sayin'

Offline mmmml

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 02:46:40 PM
Is the product stock count based on how many orders were placed, or how many are left since shipping on Friday?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 09:14:08 AM
The inventory listed on the order page is based on how many kits are left to buy. At this posting there are only 4 kits available.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 09:59:11 AM
Best. Kit. Ever.

People should totally jump on this. It was my first kit, and I still use it daily. The headphone/speaker combo is so great. It can power a decent range of speakers. With my Klipsch horn speakers it sounds phenomenal. And with HD600s it's killer!

Don't hesitate, folks!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 02:42:06 PM
Best. Kit. Ever.

People should totally jump on this. It was my first kit, and I still use it daily. The headphone/speaker combo is so great. It can power a decent range of speakers. With my Klipsch horn speakers it sounds phenomenal. And with HD600s it's killer!

Don't hesitate, folks!

I would buy another one but I already have four. Two of the 2.0 and two of the 2.1's. I currently have two of them on extended loan to friends in need of a helping hand. I also have a nice little stash of NOS 6DN7's. The supply will probably outlast me. ;) That said, I'm watching the stock levels and might make an impulse purchase. Sometimes I just cant help myself. The S.E.X. kit is a very special amplifier.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:50:49 PM
Wow, I can't believe these last 4 kits!s haven't been scooped up!

I wouldn't worry about the availability of the tubes, I've bought several pairs in the last week.

I still probably think this is still the best deal in quality audio that there is.

I have a really good non-bottlehead amp but I'm betting the se.x. Kit will be getting more than it's fair share of playtime.

I was originally torn between the stereomour II and the s.e.x. And I went for the s.e.x., and not because it's at the end of it's run, but I think it's an amp that suits my listening preferences better and as I remember, has that listen all day quality that I must have in my system.

What are you waiting for? :-)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 05:58:44 PM
Thanks for those comments, Jim. Despite the fact that the Paramount/Stereomount is my baby (my first Bottlehead design), I still have an enormous fondness for the SEX amp. I use mine every day.

A year or so ago, we were talking of a 20th anniversary edition of the original S.E.X., which in early 1996 was first offered for purchase from Electronic Tonalities (which later became Bottlehead). It was to incorporate all the best mods, while still looking like the original. The dearth of 6DN7s pretty much killed that; even a modest run of 10 kits would need 40 tubes.

Paul Joppa

Offline kgoss

Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 04:40:30 AM
I agree with Jim, the SEX is an amazing amp. When I bought my version 2.0 amp years ago I believe it was the only headphone amp kit offered.  This was the entry level offering from Bottlehead at the time, but the finished amp is way above entry level in my opinion. I liked it so much I upgraded it to Magnequest full nickel as my final mod after several other upgrades.  I use mine almost daily as a desktop amp at my home computer and I still have not worn out a pair of those rugged 6DN7 tubes.  I have the best of both worlds with a wonderful headphone amp plus a wonderful speaker amp driving a pair of Blumenstein Mini speakers. The sound either way is sublime and never fatiguing. I believe I remember reading one of Paul Joppa's comments that "the SEX is the poor man's 45 amp".  And I totally agree. I'm currently building a Kaiju for the main system but I will always love my SEX amp.

Ken Goss

Offline johnsonad

Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:27 AM
Thanks for those comments, Jim. Despite the fact that the Paramount/Stereomount is my baby (my first Bottlehead design), I still have an enormous fondness for the SEX amp. I use mine every day.

A year or so ago, we were talking of a 20th anniversary edition of the original S.E.X., which in early 1996 was first offered for purchase from Electronic Tonalities (which later became Bottlehead). It was to incorporate all the best mods, while still looking like the original. The dearth of 6DN7s pretty much killed that; even a modest run of 10 kits would need 40 tubes.

Paul, now that it will be out of production, would you all consider making that 20th Anniversay schematic available to us so that we could make the mods on our own? 

I love my SEX amp and it's scheduled for some mods after the next headphone amp I'm working on is completed.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 05:00:46 AM
Paul, now that it will be out of production, would you all consider making that 20th Anniversay schematic available to us so that we could make the mods on our own? 

I love my SEX amp and it's scheduled for some mods after the next headphone amp I'm working on is completed.
The original S.E.X. amps were monoblocks using 6DN7s per channel, with the power sections paralleled and the driver sections in a variant mu follower. Thus a modern SEX amp could be converted to a monaural original - you'd need two of the modern amps for stereo.

We will talk about what to do with the design ideas in the near future.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 05:12:35 AM
As I said, I only had mine on loan for a short time and paired with a pair of Tonian TL-D1s and using a Wavelength Proton to feed the amp -- What a wonderful sound and with dynamics that were impossibly amazing for 2 watts. Those Tonians were another one of those speakers I woefully regret selling, and I recently looked for another pair and it seems they are out of production.

That was such a simple system yet sounded so amazingly good. I'm hoping to get back to that level of sound (but obviously different) with my current setup which is very similar except for the addition of a better DAC, Aries mini streamer/server, and a Orca deluxe / dungeness Max stack, and balanced power.

Sometimes it takes a long time and far too much money to figure out that a basic, simple system can sound out-of-this-world sound. There's a lesson in there somewhere. :-)

Paul, your babies are also wonderful amps but I'm trying to live within a much smaller audio budget these days, and in that regard, the s.e.x. Just floated to the top.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)