5 kits available

mmmml · 4048

Offline mmmml

on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:01 PM
After the 5 kits are sold, will the kit still be available later?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:58:53 PM
Nope, that's that last of them.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:19:57 PM
Are you planning an upgrade?  ::)
Otherwise I think there will be a riot, being the SeX on of the favourite kit among your customers!  ;D

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline mmmml

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 10:19:21 PM
Will there be a product replacing them? I'm thinking about an amp with high power to drive LCD-2 but I'm not sure if getting the SEX or waiting for a new product is better  ::)

Offline murray

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:36:08 PM
You could look back to this previous thread... http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8196.msg84043#msg84043  - it may hold some clues.

Murray S. (N.Z.)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:45:35 AM
I will have a little more to say about this tomorrow.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sbelyo

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:14:32 AM
Doc, I have about 6 or 8 pair of NOS 6DN7 that I'll never use.  I'd be happy to trade then in for a gift cert or something

Offline syncro

• syncro architecture studio
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:21 AM
Or should I say, one (1) kit unavailable.  Been looking forward to one of these.

David Bogle
LinnLP12>Hagerman Piccolo>Hagerman Ripper / Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC / Sansui TU-717>BottleheadFPIII>Yamaha M-45>Klipsch ForteII

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:35:37 AM
Thanks for the offer, but what we would need to stay in production is a confidence that there will continue to be tubes available in production volume quantities. The 6DN7 supply has been rocky in years past and has gotten even thinner as of late.

It has been asked if there will be a replacement amp that will work with the rather demanding power requirements of orthodynamic headphones. We are working on some ideas (Kaiju would be killer, but I digress). It's certainly not insurmountable, in fact the challenge is that there are many different ways to go at this. We want to try a few before we decide the best approach. Whatever we come up with will not use 6DN7s, and at this point I'm thinking it will use something readily available instead.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sbelyo

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 10:41:19 AM
No prob...  The S.E.X. is my pride and joy.  Thanks so much for giving us a kit that was easy to build and yielded 10 times the enjoyment.  That aint easy!

Now if I could just find a pair of those Sylvania 6DN7's that are marked for export only

Offline Joshewah

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:34:49 PM
Sad to hear about the SEX, she had a good run.

Doc, I know you can't expand on too much info at this time, but would the future design that fills the SEX's gap also have speaker taps?

As of right now it's the only speaker+headphone amp in the Bottlehead lineup which is a pretty huge deal for people that want an all-in-one desktop valve amp solution (at least I think so).

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:39:07 PM
I thought it was kind of sad too, wasn't the S.E.X the first Bottlehead kit before you were Bottlehead?  It must have some sentimental value to you too.

Very interested to see what you come up with to fill the void, a speaker/headphone amp is a rare beast these days so it would be nice to see you continue that theme.

M.McCandless

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:42:25 PM
As of right now it's the only speaker+headphone amp in the Bottlehead lineup which is a pretty huge deal for people that want an all-in-one desktop valve amp solution (at least I think so).

Quicksand has speaker and headphone outs.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Joshewah

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:39 PM
True, but it's solid state and battery powered.

Love me some tubes.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 01:41:40 PM
Yes, we would put a headphone jack and speaker cable binding posts on whatever we come up with.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.