Quickie 1.1.a?

Karl5150 · 1710

Offline Karl5150

on: April 23, 2016, 09:06:16 AM
I know we are admonished to build 'em stock first to help with any issues, but since my Stereomour II build I have been hooked on the simple balance circuit. So...I ordered a custom 1.75"x12" black anodized panel from FPE (no affiliation),drew a wiring plan and heated up the iron. Using an old cigar box for the batteries and 2 lengths of shielded 4 conductor, stranded wire into a 9 pin connector for power all the resistances and voltages checked out. I temporally inserted it between my Reduction and Stereomour and ...it's alive!
I will let it burn a bit before any critical listening, but there is no added hum or noise.
If my math is correct, the stock alder Stereomour II case it is sitting in has just enough room for a Seductor and a 1/4" strip between the panels. (How's that kit coming along Josh?) 

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:22:48 AM
Nice work!  Looking forward to your listening impressions since I was thinking about trying my Quickie between my Eros and Stereomour II.

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:33 PM
Thanks Mike.
I didn't build it for my phono set-up, it will drive a Seductor to play cds. (Can never have enough gear)
One thing I did notice was there wasn't any added gain. (I was able to A/B it because my Reduction has 2 sets of switchable outputs, just flip the on/off/on toggles and change input on the Stereomuor) In fact, I think the system played a little louder without it, and I noticed that the Quickie volume pot was almost wide open.
To be fair, the "direct" route is through 12" PBJ cables while with the Quickie there was a 1m pair of Blue Jeans in and a 0.5m pair of PBJs out.
I was just happy I had volume and balance control and the BH sound after fooling around with everybody's favorite $99 kit!

Karl

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 02:48:11 PM
... fooling around with everybody's favorite $99 kit!
I see you have figured out my intention when designing it.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Karl5150

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:09:27 AM
So...I couldn't wait and soldered in a pair of Clarity MSA caps. I hooked it up this time between my dead quiet S.E.X.2.1 and CD player for some burn-in time before the in-progress Seductor is ready. Seems to work best with the S.E.X volume set at about half so I have a good bit of usable range with the Quickie volume pot. With the volume adjustments correct, there seems to be some added dynamics from my FH3/Alpair single drivers. As with the initial test there is no added noise/hum.
Those little tubes do ring without some damping, even with the minimum component contact of adjusting the volume. A pair of Mapleshade (no affiliation) brass Tube Crowns took it down to the point that a healthy knuckle rap on the wood case made a barely audible ring.

Karl