Omega/Blumenstein in SF Bay

drewh1 · 3470

Offline drewh1

on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:58 AM
Now that I have the Kaiju in my main system, I am going to buy some SD speakers for my Stereoumour to use in bedroom system.  Considering the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor or Orcas.  After reading reviews, it sounds like the Omegas likely have more bass and wouldn't need subs (more expensive too). But everyone seems to love the Orcas, so hard to say without hearing them.

I would love the opportunity to audition either the Omega's or Blumensteins before deciding. If anyone in the Bay area has them paired up with tubes and is willing to invite me over for a listen, I would greatly appreciate it.  happy to supply the beverage of your choice for the occasion.

I am in El Cerrito, East Bay.

drew

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:35:07 AM
Hi Drew, seeing as you already own a DIY subwoofer, I would suggest starting with a pair of Orcas and a set of Anchor chain cables so that you can properly hear your subwoofer (because you will be driving its high level inputs correctly with the Anchor Chain cables).  We offer a 60 day money back guarantee on your satisfaction with the sound of our products so the only risk for you is the shipping cost.

If you need greater efficiency plus powerhandling, then look no further than our Triton 8" fullrange model.

Best,

Clark

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:09 PM
Hey Drew;

I am driving a pair of Orcas with  Custom BH 2A3 amp that PB built for me. They are in love with that amp! Prtty good high freq extension too. only issue is headroom, and Clark just delivered a pair of his AlNiCo Mako's to see if the increased headroom will help. We'll see. I run either speaker with Clark's BUF subs for below 70 Hz. I will report with more time on them later.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:56:53 PM
Every loudspeaker is a compromise one way or another. I would throw in the question about the music you are listening to. Boy / girl and guitar, chamber music, Jazz trio etc. is very beautiful with fullrangers. Large symphony orchestras, larger pop or rock arrangements I found to be more pleasing with a 2 or 3 way design, because of the frequency extension on both ends. Plus, I like cranking it up at times  8)

Just my 2 cents

Michael
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:59:37 PM by Zimmer64 »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline drewh1

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 12:57:33 PM
Thanks so much for the replies!

Clark - I will likely take you up on the offer to try, I have a few questions about break-in and subs that I'll take off line with you.  The sub that I am using in my main system will stay there so I will have to figure out some alternative for the other system if I go with Orcas's

Hank - I have read your posts and can tell you really like the Orca's in your system.

Michael - I listen to everything but more chamber than large orchestral and do sometimes like to crank up rock - that is why I have the 300b though!  I am excited about having the best of both worlds!  SD with the Stereomour and 2 way with the Kaiju.

drew.

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline recarcar

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:07:07 PM
Hey Drew,

Wish I had seen these sooner. If you are still interested in hearing some omegas, I have the omega super alnico monitors. I am in Oakland.

carlos

Offline drewh1

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 07:01:36 AM
Thanks for the offer Carlos. Already picked up a pair. Certainly no match for my green mountains but perfect for the bedroom system!

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline recarcar

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:09:40 PM
Did you pick up the compact monitors?