Rek-O-Kut B-12H

butchbass · 3822

Offline butchbass

on: May 06, 2016, 02:05:36 PM
I am getting ready to restore a Rek-O-Kut B-12H turntable. It has an Eastern Air Devices synchronous motor with a 2.0 uf 600vdc oil filled start capacitor that I want to replace. Do I have to stay with an oil filled capacitor or are there other options?
Also there is a .047 uf capacitor across the on/off switch terminals. Is this for noise/pop suppression?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:19:37 PM
No and yes, simple as that 😊

Aaron Johnson

Offline Wanderer

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:19:12 PM
Is the start cap not working? If the motor starts in the correct direction and runs smoothly you will not gain anything by replacing the cap. If the cap has failed then any 2.0 uf capacitor rated 600 volts or higher with do the job.

Yes, the cap across the switch is for turn on transient, click/pop, suppression.  If you are not getting clicks at turn on there is no profit in replacing it.

Kevin R-M

Offline butchbass

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:40:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of replacing the caps because of their age. So age is not a concern?

Butch Gross

Offline Wanderer

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 03:29:48 AM
If the oil filled cap is not leaking odds are it is fine.

Do be aware that an old oil filled cap may contain PCBs, so if leaking replace and recycle as hazmat electronics. Please just don't send it to the landfill.   

If the suppressor cap on the switch is doing it's job any value drift is irrelevant. My rebuilt Acoustic Research table has the original suppressor cap on the switch. Works fine.

Kevin R-M

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 07:33:23 AM
As above if the oil cap isn't leaking its probably fine.  If the one across the switch is a ceramic it will be fine too, but if its an old paper style i would replace it for safety.   Just make sure whatever you use in its place is a proper mains rated cap, assuming it is across the mains.

M.McCandless

Offline butchbass

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:59:40 PM
Good feedback. Thanks.

Butch Gross