Instruction Clarification for Seduction Assembly Part 4

undertowogt · 11428

Offline undertowogt

Hi My first Build/Post here.

I need Instruction Clarification for Seduction Assembly Part 4. Under the CRCRC Filter and Bleeder resistors part 6.

QUOTE " Prepare a 7" piece of Shielded twisted pair cable as before, except this time strip the outer covering at one end back 3/4" as before but strip covering of the other end back 3-1/2. Cut the 3-1/2 long red wire to 1-1/4 and strip back 1/4
Below is the part I don't understand................
"Twist and cut the 3-12"long drain wire back3/4"
What is meant by "TWIST" the drain wire?

can anyone clarify this for me?

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:47:32 PM
That normally means to twist the tinned shield wire and the black-jacketed wire together. Then you strip the black wire and cut them both at the instructed length. That's how it was with the SEX kit, anyway. I haven't personally built the Seduction kit (yet), but twisting the drain and black wire together was very common in the SEX kit. Hopefully someone who's built the Seduction will confirm this.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline undertowogt

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:27:53 PM
you mean the DRAIN WIRE right? and not the Tin surrounding all 3wires in the casing.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:30:41 PM
yea, the naked tinned wire. That's the shield drain wire because it's unjacketed and contacts the aluminum shield along the length of the cable.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline undertowogt

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33:37 PM
I appreciate your reply, thank you.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 05:05:50 PM
Is it crucial to wrap the DRAIN wire with the Tin..... I havent been doing that. I hope this will not cause issues.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 05:22:39 PM
By Tin, you mean The foil shield just under the outer sheath, right?

Carefully trim that even with the sheath and use just the bare, (well twisted) ;), shield/drain wire

John Scanlon

Offline undertowogt

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 05:28:54 PM
Great that's what I did!! Excellent. I am currently at the hardest part of the Seduction.time for a break

Offline undertowogt

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 05:29:38 PM
Thank you for the reply

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 02:20:01 AM
The drain wire is intimate enough with the foil that you do not need to try to twist them together or otherwise connect them.  The drain wire is for terminations to the shield.  I built an early Seduction and don't remember if the original drain wire that was used had a stranded, rather than solid, shield.  If it did then twisting makes sense.  A stranded drain wire might need a little tightening before attaching.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:36 AM
The drain wire is intimate enough with the foil that you do not need to try to twist them together or otherwise connect them.  The drain wire is for terminations to the shield.  I built an early Seduction and don't remember if the original drain wire that was used had a stranded, rather than solid, shield.  If it did then twisting makes sense.  A stranded drain wire might need a little tightening before attaching.

Thank for your input. As of now I am pretty much cutting the Tin from the drain wire