OT: car speakers

aragorn723 · 2306

Offline aragorn723

on: May 16, 2016, 03:19:42 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with taking raw speakers and creating crossovers to install into a car environment?  I'm familiar with the installation, but haven't really designed a component set before.  Can someone make a suggestion for a nice combo?  I suspect a diy setup would outperform a pre-designed set  8)  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:05:23 AM
A pre designed set is the outcome of a lot of DIY at the makers. It's unlikely that you will want to spend the money on a couple of dozen  mixtures of speakers and electrical components. Get a good name brand set up from a reputable supplier. If in the end you want to go down the "modified" route you can then spend what you want.
To keep this a bit Bottlehead, just think how much experimenting Doc and crew do to bring out the best they can with each new model. Yes the modifers will make changes but mostly the improvements will be in their own heads.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:05:17 AM
Tweaking crossovers for vehicle component speakers is really a pain the butt.  Often times, you will break a lot of door clips from pulling the door card on and off so many times.  To add to this, since the speaker sets don't come in enclosures, automotive component speaker systems tend to be a pretty decent deal.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:03:56 PM
Thanks for the 2 cents.  I was hoping maybe someone had done this already, though it might be hard to use that as a gauge since sound is a personal preference.  Anyone have experience with any of the madisound car component sets? (or can you recommend something else?)  I had Alpine type r 6.5 components previously, but don't want to pay the $300 if there is something better out there for less.  As a point of reference, the tweeter is a bit on the more lively side, is there something similar out there for less? Thanks,

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:11:36 AM
  I had Alpine type r 6.5 components previously, but don't want to pay the $300 if there is something better out there for less.
Get the Alpine Type R's on eBay for about half of that and call it good.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man