Simple question regarding Step 5 ( most challenging part)

undertowogt · 10557

Offline undertowogt

Simple question regarding Step 5 ( most challenging part)

So in Step 5 part 7

Instruction quote "Now insert a Z5U capacitor into terminals A4 and 28, and another Z5U into terminals A5 and 28. Try to keep the bodies of these two capacitors close to the socket terminals"

My question is............... is really necessary to keep the bodies of the capacitors close to the socket terminals? this portion is very tight, I was thinking of leaving the leads long and the caps raise for ease of soldering etc................................

Any thought, I appreciate all replys.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:48:38 AM
The closer the physical cap is to the socket the greater noise reduction you get.  There is a limit to how close you can get.  There are three such Z5U caps (1uF each) on the heater terminals.

Get as close as you can and don't worry about it.

Offline undertowogt

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:35:17 AM
thanks for the clarification. I assumed there was some reason for bottlehead to state to keep the caps close. This part is a real pain. I will try my best and not worry about it

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:19:49 AM
being gentle with little leads is important, too.

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:27:13 AM
thanks for the clarification. I assumed there was some reason for Bottlehead to state to keep the caps close. This part is a real pain. I will try my best and not worry about it

You bet it is.  Those tube pins are crowded.  When I build I bend them outward a little to give my fat fingers more room.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:36:53 PM
The purpose of those caps is to drain any radio frequency energy in the environment to ground (the t-strip center terminal). Any lead acts as an antenna to pick up such energy, so the shorter the better.

Paul Joppa