Something went wrong [resolved]

musiciseverything · 1905

Offline musiciseverything

on: May 30, 2016, 09:53:14 AM
Thanks in advance.  I have been really enjoying my Quickie and just now got around to installing the PJCCS 1.1 The amp was working fine before and now after my voltage check one channel is not working.
1A  36.8 V
1B 36.8V
A5 0.5V
A6 0.2V
B5 1.7V
B6 24.2V
Switched on to the first position.  Brand new batteries checked with a DVM. I went back through the directions and believe I got everything properly installed.  I resoldered all the connections and still no joy. Ideas?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:47:03 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:19:02 AM
I don't know if this helps or not, but I uninstalled the circuit board and restored the Quickie to its previous state, resoldered those connections and it works perfectly.  I think this shows that the power supply is intact and the tubes are good.  Thanks in advance.  TG

Offline cpaul

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:13:22 PM
You should really re-check your wiring the ccs.  That is likely the problem. There have been issues with the instructions and in my case one of the transistors was wired backwards when following the instructions (it was during a transition period).  Mine works well now that I figured it out.  Look carefully and ask questions.  I will try to take a closer look at your voltages soon.

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:34:20 PM
Thank you for your reply.  I have been listening to my original Quickie but look forward to the better version.  Much obliged.  TG

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 04:13:26 AM
After reading some of the posts regarding a mismatch of photos and instructions for the PJCCS, I am concerned that my build (Quickie Manual V1.1) followed the instructions that I have but is incorrect.  Is it ever permissible to have a successful builder take a photo of the functioning completed circuit board and send to me?  A macro close-up would show me the details and I could compare it to mine and see if I am correct.  For the purposes of patent and security it could be a private message.  Is this possible and proper?  Thanks.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 04:44:16 AM
Post pictures of your build. The manual has macro photographs of a working board at 300 dpi. Zoom in to see whatever details you think you are missing. The discrepancies between manual revisions you refer to will not cause a board to only function on one side(and the six year old issue cpaul referred to is wholly irrelevant). Build errors and bad solder joints cause that kind of issue. Most common would be a weak joint on the middle leg of the MJE-350.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:04:57 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:04:44 AM
Thanks.  I'll try to post photos (first time).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 06:20:06 AM
The solder joints on the MJE350s are bad. They need to be redone, with a little more solder added.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:30:55 AM
Thanks!  I'll get to that hopefully sometime today. I skimped on the solder since the board is so small. I'm learning.

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:27:49 AM
Thanks to Doc and all for your assistance.  It works perfectly now.  Now, back to the music!

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:42:12 AM
Thank you. It works perfectly now. The Quickie is even better with the PJCCS installed. The highs are sharper and clearer and the bass is more articulate while the mids are still smooth. This rivals many expensive pre-amps I have heard and owned. My speakers are Von Schweikert VR-1s plus an REL Q108 sub. My amp is the Topping TP60 which is quite an impressive amp. Based on the Tripath 2022 it has dual mono chips and toroidal transformers plus Alps potentiometer, OMRON relays, ERO and CDE capacitors, Dale and Sanyo resistors, hand-wound inductors, gold-plated RCA input jacks and 5-way binding posts. All for $220.00.
Thanks again. It gives me a great feeling to listen to beautifully rendered music knowing that I built part of it. All the best to all of you.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:38:51 AM
Great, good job!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.