Kaiju - Quiet amp using very efficient speakers? Hum resolvements? [resolved]

fritzthecat · 4592

Offline fritzthecat

• Analog Chris - Fritzthecat
    • Lakeside Audio Association
At the moment I have some hum issues as i am using some very high efficient speakers - see pic.

Does anyone have general input how to approach and resolve these issues? With normal speakers my system is dead quiet. But with about 102 dB efficiency this looks different:-/

Where to start? Where to look at?

With the Kaijus I ordered the DC filament upgrade - looking forward to see the effect.

I guess I might have a general grounding problem but was able to reduce hum by about 95 percent by just using one power socket for the whole system but hum is still audible at the listening spot - so far no further improvements so I am looking for advice regarding these problems in general.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

How should I proceed with the filament improvement for the Kaijus? I am planning to first use them without and later upgrade.

Thank you so much!

All the best,

Chris
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:25:00 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
Apple Mac Pro / Media Center 23
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
AN Kits L3 Phono / Bottlehead EROS
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)
Silvercore 833C for (Klipschorn/Crites)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
That's what the DC filament supply is for.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fritzthecat

My guess is, that it will still be there then - but I'll check it out and will see. What else would you try if you had hum on your reference system?

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)

Offline mpdd

I am also experiencing hum from my Kaiju with 102db speakers. My plan was to break in the Kaiju then install the DC filament heaters after listening to the amp for a couple of hundred hours, however, the hum is very discernible from the listening position, consequently, I haven't been running the amplifier much.
In efforts tracking down and isolating the hum I built a couple of "test" rca's to see if the hum is from the Kaiju. With two "shorted" rca's on the Kaiju inputs the hum is just as noticeable as when the normal source is connected, it appears the hum is being generated within the Kaiju.
I'll build the DC Filament board this week and see if that helps.
I'll report on the hum after the optional kit is installed.
Unfortunately I sold my less efficient speakers when the Kaiju Kit was delivered.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
The DC filament supply will lower the hum level to an acceptable level for use with sensitive speakers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
My guess is, that it will still be there then - but I'll check it out and will see. What else would you try if you had hum on your reference system?
Well, the DC filament supply will drop the hum level by about 15dB, so I would recommend installing the board before expending any energy on addressing the issue in another manner.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mpdd

I installed the DC Filament option tonight, as soon as I started it, it sounded great, no discernible hum even within a foot of the speakers (Lowther DX-4's in Lowther Acousta cabinets). After about ten minutes the right channel ceased operation and about ten minutes after that the left channel quit as well. It sounded great until channels started dropping.
Voltages measured 4.76 and 4.77. The Kaiju worked before I started the install, I've double checked my wiring and solder connections, everything is per the manual. Does anybody have any ideas on where to look for a fault? I'd appreciate the help.
It did sound really good before it quit. It just got too quiet.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Were the voltages 4.76 when first checked, and still 4.76 after it stopped working? Is this with the stock 300Bs?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mpdd

Voltages remained the same. 300B's are JJ's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
4.76V is within 5% of 5V, so I shouldn't think that would be a problem. Do you see the filaments glow in the 300Bs?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Turns out the issue here was simple. One of the heat sinks on regulator chips the DC supply board had fallen off and the other was very loose. That, compounded with the wood base feet not being applied to allow for adequate underchassis airflow led to the regulators overheating and shutting off. Snapping the heat sinks on the chips and running the amp with adequate airflow had the amp running fine with all the voltages spot on. mpdd will give it a good play tonight and we'll know for sure we have it sorted.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mpdd

I was stumped, I took the Kaiju to Bottlehead Headquarters. Dan had my mistakes quickly sorted with a smile.
Thank you for the great customer service and great Bottlehead products, the Foreplay and Kaiju are making beautiful music.

Offline fritzthecat

Well, the DC filament supply will drop the hum level by about 15dB, so I would recommend installing the board before expending any energy on addressing the issue in another manner.

I'll do so - one thing I realised is, that the hum again is a bit lower now since I got a new current distrubution panel (house installation) installed this week in my house - but it is still there and it's not only a Kaiju problem I have it as well with other amps. As I had some issues with the voltages within the Kaiju build I think it's probably better to just have the filament upgrade installed after some hours of safe Kaiju operation - I'll try to sort everything out tonite.

Maybe in the end - to really be sure my current is clean I'll head for a Tesla Super Battery: https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/tesla-home-battery-ultimate-power-conditioner-home-soundsystems

Does anyone know someone having experiences with this one?

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP

Offline fritzthecat

Hi Paul

I just finished my first Kaiju - great build experience - I am loving it already though it is just breaking in. I had some issues in terms of adjusting hum balance (posted some lines regarding this - the wirewound potentiometer does somehow not allow adjustments that are fine enough - the values are jumping in 3-4 mV steps).

With the lower efficiency test speakers everything was fine but when I attached the big horns in my main listening room to the Kaiju it was humming like crazy again - no wonder as the DC filament upgrade is not yet installed and I will do so this afternoon.

I am using the Kaiju to drive JBL 2445J large format midrange drivers being used without the back covers and tuned with Truextent beryllium diaphragms.

The drivers are attached to a 75 cm tractrix Horn from and have an efficiency of at least 111 dB 1W/m in this configuration. The frequency range is 320 Hz to 8500 Hz - from there JBL 2405 Slot tweeters take over (I am planning to replace them through Stage Accompany SA8535 Ribbon Drivers with the origninal hornsas soon as I can get hold of any at a decent price).

What do you think, is the filament upgrade going to solve the problem? I guess not, as the hum really is very loud. And is there any possibility for finer adjustments regarding hum balancing? I just wonder if I could ad another multiturn potentiometer or replace the original one - if possible, what exact type of potentiometer would I have to order?

It would be great if you could give me some advice regarding this. In the meantime I'll install the DC Filament upgrade and hope after that the hum is at least as low that one can enjoy listening. At the moment it really sonds awfull.

Thank you and have a nice Sunday,

Chris

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP

Offline fritzthecat

Done! DC Filament upgrade installed - got late - will test tomorrow - here some pics... Thanx a lot - I guess this will help massively...

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP