Not got far! Voltages off on transformer secondary test :( [resolved]

jonnoh · 1233

Offline jonnoh

Hi,
Just started constructing the Stereomour II. Mains supply is 236V (Australia) so as instructed I have joined terminals 1 and 6,  mains power then connected to 4 and 2.

Measuring the secondary voltages: between 12-13 =  17.4V, 11-14 = 17.6V, 9-15 = 25.5V, 19-20 = 169V. I can't really work out the primary windings or numbering thereof. Has anybody any suggestions what may be wrong?

I also note that on the diagram in the instructions that neutral is on the right hand upper terminal on the IEC socket, and line on the left. However that is incorrect as Line is actually on right and neutral on the left, at least in my house!

Thanks

Jon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:02:21 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:16:51 AM
First thing to check is if you are taking readings with your meter set to AC volts. Setting it to DC volts will give strange readings.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jonnoh

Thanks Doc. I thought I had better behave myself and put alligator clips on the leads (using wire/tape/clips as I've not proper clips). Found the voltages were then OK. I think poor connection between probes and terminals was the problem. Next time I will do what the instructions say. (Just in case I did try it with the meter switched to DC and got 0V......)