Frustration - Blister Packs - How Do You Open Them????

Grainger49 · 3005

Offline Grainger49

I got a new battery charger for my camera batteries today.  Using an X-acto knife I poked myself in the thumb. 

Just how are you supposed to open these all plastic blister packs?  A pair of scissors will spring open unless they are very heavy duty.  A knife is a danger.  I guess my compound jaw tin snips will work but that seems overkill.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:49:30 PM
I use carpet shears or a box cutter.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JC

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:58:18 PM
I have been known to use diagonal cutters in a pinch.  Tin snips should do it.

My question about stuff packaged this way: What happens if you want to return it?  Why should a retailer take it back when you have had to destroy the packaging just to open it?

Jim C.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:15:54 PM
A pocketknife and a prayer.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:11 PM
I'll check Harbor Freight for carpet shears.

I think the tin shears will work but they are enormous, also from Harbor Freight.

My pocket knife probably would have cut my thumb worse, it is sharper.  I hate using a good pocket knife for something like opening plastic.  But maybe next time.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:55:24 PM
I have an Uncle Henry style three blade. One blade is a knife, one's practically a razor, and the other is practically a screwdriver. My idea of a multitool.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline pro_crip

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:11 AM
I use a plain old utility knife with the blade out as little as possible, that first click. I just stab it right in the shoulder where the blister starts (sorry, just watched American Psycho, Bale is just awesome as Bateman) and run the blade along the shoulder. Blister pops right off and no chance of self-mutilation. I take a blood thinner so I got to watch that, trips to the er suck.

Rich (this color seems right today)

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:51:03 AM
Since I have two "Box Cutters" I can bring one inside and give it a try.  I might still be clumsy but hopefully that will give me a chance to keep all the blood inside.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:53:17 AM
I have a pair of those EMT shears, the kind that was shown cutting a penny. Used to find them everywhere.

Last Christmas Home Desperate had a tool in there gift area that was a stout pair of shears with a knife blade built into the handle, made specifically for opening blister packs. Maybe a search of there website

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:39:47 PM
I will take a look, thanks.

Offline Bones13

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:22:24 AM
When kitchen shears won't cut the stuff (happened twice now) I take it outside to the band saw.  Sucker opens right up.  And I don't cut my fingers that way.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:24:49 AM
I don't have a band saw, but do have a cross cut saw.

Could lose some fingers though.

Offline saildoctor

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:46:03 PM
At my workplace (sailmaker's loft) I use a pair of 12" heavy duty nickel plated Wiss shears.  Of course, I manage to cut myself on an hourly basis so that solution may not be everyone's cup of tea.  I bet a pair of heavy chef's kitchen shears would have plenty of leverage to get the job done.

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline GLF

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 05:09:03 PM
2 cents from a packaging engineer

Most blister packs (aka clam shell) are pretty easy to open. Just flip the pack over so the back is facing towards you. Look for the rise along the edge of the pack that should run along 3/4 or so of the pack. There is a hinge point, usually at the bottom of the pack. Cut downwards just inside of that ridge along the perimeter of the seal. You just need to get through the outer layer. The back panel should then hinge on the side left uncut and you are now able to get at the goodies inside. I usually use a carpet knife because you can get a good grip on the knife and they have a sturdy, short and sharp blade. This helps you not cut the stuff inside or yourself.

Andrew

Andrew Krafthefer