Volume adjustment for best sound

musiciseverything · 1224

Offline musiciseverything

on: July 12, 2016, 09:05:14 AM
Hello and thanks in advance. My Tripath amp has a volume pot and the Quickie does too. Is the Quickie volume pot a resistor or does it increase the voltage?  Is there an ideal position for it regarding S/N and dynamics?  I've read Paul's notes but still not clear on this issue. Tom

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:36:30 AM
Both controls reduce the voltage across them, and are followed by circuitry with a fixed gain.

Best bet is to listen for yourself. First, set the tripath level control to maximum and use the Quickie to adjust level. You will probably hear a lot of microphonics from the quickie, and have a hair-trigger volume control.

Then reduce the tripath pot, increasing the Quickie control to compensate. The microphonics will decrease and the available range on the quickie pot will increase.

Keep trying lower and lower level at the tripath, until you hear distortion on loud passages. The ideal level for the tripath pot will be between these two points. By the time you find that optimum, you will have educated your ears - a really nice side benefit!

:^)

Paul Joppa

Offline musiciseverything

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 04:08:29 PM
Paul,
I think you nailed it. As I understand it, I reduce the effect of the tube pre-amp in terms of noise and micro phonics and increase the Tripath to point of increasing distortion. All by ear. I have found that a mid level of Quickie and a lower level of Tripath gives me the best sound and you have explained why. Thank you. I like the Tripath amplification and the Quickie adds a fullness and sweetness that the Tripath alone lacks. As usual, you rock!