What did you do to the forum???

Jim R. · 5126

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: October 23, 2009, 10:43:24 AM
Doc or David,

Did you do something to change the format of the forum?  Yesterday all the messages within a thread were seperated into individual table structures.  Today there are no tables within a thread, nor any other kind of structural markup for individual responses.  To me and my screen reader this means a difference of whether the forum is convenient or impossible to use.

I know I didn't change any settings or do any browser updates, so something must have changed within the forum's display settings.

Help!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:38:54 AM
I changed the background color of the tabs, but I don't expect you would notice that.  I just reviewed the source and everything still appears to be formatted as tables.  I think I heard there is a mobile version that automatically loads, I wonder if you got that somehow.  You have my email, so let me know if things do not get better.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:09:07 PM
Hi David,

After a lot of configuration and browser version experiments this looks to be an issue with the latest version of Firefox and my screen reader.  Now to figure out why, even though I have auto updates turned off in FF, I still got the update. :-)

Of course the nezxt update will probably fix it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:43:05 AM
Jim, I am running Firefox V 3.0.14.  There are no problems with displaying the text or threads. But... sometimes it shows new posts and when I click on the blue icon on the home page the next page shows no new posts.  But if I just open the folder (main topic) all new posts are shown there.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:29 AM
Hi Grainger,

I'm using the same version but I'm also blind and using a screen reader to read the web pages, and this is some issue that exists between the way firefox and the screen reader are communicating.   can sort-of remedy the situation by telling my screen reader to identify all table structures, but that generates a lot of extra verbiage from the speech synthesizer as it identifys every single table construct on every page, and with SMF (and the Asylum as well), that is a lot of useless chatter that slows things down quite a bit.

I'm sure a future update to firefox will fix this as I'll get the bug logged and directed to the right people.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:40:58 AM
Jim - I've noticed that SMF uses a lot of extra tables for formatting.  Probably written before cascading style sheets were popular.  Do you know if there is a tag I could add to the formatting tables so your screen reader would ignore them?

David

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:46:45 AM
David,

I don't know.  I'll have to check.  I can set table reading to "on" where all tables are read, "smart" where it only reads the tables of topics and used to read the individual response tables in a thread, and "off" in which no table structures are identifiedd.  I always leave it set to "smart" and that works 99
% of the time, unless Firefox does something to break it, which I think has happened here,.

I'll try to find out exactly what that mechanism is and see if it can be patched on the page source.

-- Jim

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 05:09:50 AM
Hi Grainger,

I'm using the same version but I'm also blind and using a screen reader to read the web pages, and this is some issue that exists between the way firefox and the screen reader are communicating.   can sort-of remedy the situation by telling my screen reader to identify all table structures, but that generates a lot of extra verbiage from the speech synthesizer as it identifys every single table construct on every page, and with SMF (and the Asylum as well), that is a lot of useless chatter that slows things down quite a bit.

I'm sure a future update to firefox will fix this as I'll get the bug logged and directed to the right people.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,  Got'cha! It makes sense to me now.

Offline Geek

• Tube Geek
    • Classic Valve Design
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:33:17 PM
Jim - I've noticed that SMF uses a lot of extra tables for formatting.  Probably written before cascading style sheets were popular. 

Nope, done on purpose so non CSS browsers, like WAP and simple browsers (including the command line types) see it as functional as full fledged GUI browsers like Opera and FF.

Cheers!

-= Gregg =-
Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines.
Work: Classic Valve Design
Home: GeeK ZonE

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 06:57:43 AM
David,

Make any changes overnight?  Now the smart tables are working again.  I didn't update my screen reader or change it's configurations in any way, and it doesn't appear that firefox was updated either.

Whatever you did, thank you :-).

-- Jim