jensen 4 pole wiring suggestion

ee · 2404

Offline ee

on: July 25, 2016, 09:29:56 AM
I have converted my power supply in my stereomour to point to point. I am going to install Jensen 4 pole caps at b+. The 1st two caps in the circuit will be normal 2 pole.  Regarding the 2nd cap in the voltage doubler, is it correct that it goes to the ground connection leading back to the diode per schematic? That's the way I am reading it. Jensen suggests putting the (-) of this cap to the input (-) of the 4 pole to link them together. All though the diagram assumes only using 4 pole caps which I'm not all in on that. Since it is a dual mono supply I am thinking I could connect the (-) of the voltage doubler capacitor that goes to ground (bottom cap on the stereomour schematic) to the input (-) of 4 pole to help complete the ground circuit that Jensen suggests. This would mean to me that I would run 2 wires, 1 to the left b+ , and 1 to the right b+ 4 pole caps from the 2 pole tab. So just spliting the (-) of the 2 pole cap to go the seperate b+ caps to run back to (-) original. It appears they want the (-) of each cap to feed back through until reaching output (-) to ground to get full benefit of 4 pole arrangement.
I may need to post a schematic unless someone can follow all that.
Summarized version would be: is the bottom cap going to ground, and is it ok to split the ground output of that cap to both 4 pole caps in the b+ position, and then feed it back to ground?
Sorry if I'm frustrating
Thanks
Eric

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables

Offline ee

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:56:49 AM
schematic but i'm obviously not electrically skilled. Variation from stock.

Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:16:31 PM
The drawing is incorrect.

To use 4-pole caps in the original Stereomour, you can simply replace the 100uF/450v caps with suitable 4-pole versions. The positive input of each 4-pole cap comes from its 360/1200 ohm resistor, with the positive output going to the appropriate channel (plate choke and C4S board). The negative inputs are tied to each other and to the negative of the doubler; the negative outputs are separately tied to each other and the ground buss.

Leave the voltage doubler, including its two 270uF/250v caps, as is. If you want to replace the doubler caps, that will call for a different circuit. You can't get full 4-pole performance, you'd effectively be using them as 3-pole.

Paul Joppa

Offline ee

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:54:33 AM
Thank you for directions PJ!
Eric

Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables