Thorens TD150 MKII project

JamieMcC · 3915

Offline JamieMcC

on: July 28, 2016, 12:18:14 PM
While I am saving up for the next Bottlehead kit and waiting for the £-$ exchange rate to improve (thanks to Brexit) I have been enjoying revisiting my analogue side of things and a couple of weeks ago I picked up a working but beat up vintage Thorens TD150 MKII as a bit of a fun project.

Main new bits are

1 Replaced the old power supply as it was looking more than a bit worse for wear. This was real easy as its just two X2 class capacitors and a resistor.

2 Ditched the original old twin core mains lead for a smart looking Linn LP12 earthed lead that I picked up along with some other LP12 bits for just £1.04 off of ebay!

3 Made a new Bubinga plinth finished with Tung oil with a wax and buff after

4 Added a carbon fibre and cork veneer to the chassis top and made a new SME armboard out of cork and carbon fibre.

5 Polished the side of the main platter

6 Fitted some inexpensive but Gucci looking cone feet

7 Dynamatted the sub chassis

Ended up with a nice little TT

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:44:59 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:32:03 PM
Beautiful work!  Enjoy

Ken Goss

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:59:08 PM
Very nicely done!!  I have an original TD150 with the original cannon ball.  Still holds it own today!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:43:54 AM
Thanks Geary

It’s been a fun project and it has made for is a nice sounding deck that now would not look out of place in many a show room.

I'm looking for a another SME 3009 arm for it at the moment as the one its sporting is off of my TD125 MK II which when I get a bit of free time is going to get a bit of a  spruce up as well.

I am pondering over making the new plinth and top plates for the TD125 big enough to use with a 12" arm, but am still undecided as its quiet a big heavy deck as it is. I wondered if you had any thoughts about going down this route?

On top of that I am agonising over the Eros at the moment as the Doc has made it a very tempting with the promotion.

Cheers
Jamie

Offline Deluk

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:08:01 AM
Although the SME is a great looking traditional arm I think it could be argued that using a Rega arm, even the basic RB250, would give you better performance for the price. Would also look good on the modernised 150. MC cartridge also possible, as these are less suited to the SME.
Impressive work on the 150. Not many original parts left!

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 07:07:26 AM
Although the SME is a great looking traditional arm I think it could be argued that using a Rega arm, even the basic RB250, would give you better performance for the price. Would also look good on the modernised 150. MC cartridge also possible, as these are less suited to the SME.
Impressive work on the 150. Not many original parts left!

Thanks,

I have thought about trying a Rega arm on the TD150 as at the moment I do have a original spec Planar 3 with a RB200 arm as well as a modified Planar 3 which has been fitted with the 24v dc motor upgrade as used on the current Rega 6 etc that has a plater upgrade and a RB300 arm (this was a nice step up in performance over the RB200 armed stock Rega).

I haven’t tried the RB300 arm on the TD 150 but I have had them both running side by side swapping the same cart between them listening to a few favourite LPs and to be honest the TD150 and SME 3009 (it’s a series II improved, fixed head shell) just wipes the floor with Rega performance wise and it’s not at all subtle.  It’s taken me a bit by surprise actually even the misses who has no interest in TT’s has been noticing the difference and  commenting on how its sounding.

Further I am 100% sure I don’t have all the settings dialled in correctly yet on the 150 and SME the VTA is out a tad for starters.

I will have a look at making an adapter so I can give the RB300 a try out at some point that is if I haven’t sold both the Regas by then  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:10:39 AM by JamieMcC »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 07:12:12 AM
My second turntable is a TD150 with a 3009. Didn't like it with any MM we tried so far, but found out a while back that it sounds pretty nice with a van den Hul MC-1.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 08:42:41 PM
My second turntable is a TD150 with a 3009. Didn't like it with any MM we tried so far, but found out a while back that it sounds pretty nice with a van den Hul MC-1.

I don’t have any experience with MC carts as yet and am not particularly experienced with MM and TT set up in general but am learning a lot by trial and error. I was looking to upgrade the old P77 MM cart that came with the Rega a while back but was advised by a knowledgeable friend to fit it with a the Jico SAS stylus instead and have been very happy with the results its easily bested a number of carts that I have since heard that would have been more expensive options.

Thanks for the great offer on the Eros, I am looking forward to building it and hearing it in my system.