Paramour grid choke mod?

kuramura · 2326

Offline kuramura

on: August 28, 2016, 09:54:24 AM
Hi
I have heavily modified Paramour  that uses 76 driver C4s loaded, 180vDc  on plates, Schottky diodes on cathode 9vDc, 1.22uF parafeed  cap, 750 ohm tantalum grid stopper 220k tantalum grid leak resistor going to Emission Labs 2A3-S. Parafeed cap is about 11uF, Iron upgraded to  BH-5 Full Nickel output and  BH-6 Plate Chokes, Audeze LCD-2 Headphones connect the system to my ears.
 I've been doing upgrades for over 10 years and it sounds amazing. I'm slowly running out of ideas as how to improve the sound and I've been wondering  about  replacing 220k grid leak resistor with grid choke. Magnequest  and Lundahl  LL 1670 seem like good candidates. From what I've read it should impact the sound in positive way, does anybody have experience with similar circuit ?
 Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:10:46 AM
I did this in my Paramount's. I used magnaquest hi nickel content grid chokes. I found that the sound wasn't as good as with the regular resistor. If you're interested PM me and you're welcome to them. I prefer the resistor.

Aaron Johnson

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:58:54 AM
I added one to an SR-45 amp (which started as a paramour II) and it made a big difference. Put it in a sex amp and did not notice as much of an effect...Could not get it to work with a paramount as it picked up noise. It might be more difficult to add if you have the smaller paramour top plate.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:07 AM
I installed two into a 6A3 amp i have mocked up and was amazed at just how much of a difference it made to the overall sound.  I did have to increase the inter stage capacitor value as the lower end sounded a little bloated and flabby, increasing from .1uf to .22uf seemed to sort that out so some changes may be needed for your specific application.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:22:54 AM by mcandmar »

M.McCandless