Finished my Crack! One voltage question for the experts.

FrancoB · 2280

Offline FrancoB

Ok, I finished my Crack. I had a lot of fun soldering this kit. This was my first point-to-point project.

My compliments to Doc B. The manual was spot on. Haven't seen one that was so meticulous.

This was my fourth tube project. Before this one I did a KT88pp, a 6C33Cse and a 5687pre). I couldn't get the KT88 to work. A World Audio Design from the UK. Although it was PCB-based, I couldn't get it to make some music. Very frustrating. I liked the PCB a lot. I had some troubles fitting everything in around the transformer. I would still prefer a PCB-design for a next project.;)

Anyways, when doing the voltage check on the crack there were no huge differences. Most of them were within 1%. Except for the 90V points. I can't measure more than 76V on these points. It's more than 15% off. Not much, but still.

Is this alarming? Not?

Ok, I'm gonna do the final voltage check on the headphone jack.

Talk to you later.:)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:25 AM
Sorry, I don't have a Crack headphone amp.  Doc made me say that.  But I'm interested in the 6C33C amp.  Please PM me with some info.  I have a pair that I thought would be a great SET.

On the other hand, low voltage won't harm a thing.  So if all other voltages are good, listen and decide for yourself.

Offline FrancoB

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:10:58 AM
I decided to finish the test on my Crack by plugging in my HD600 and listen to some music.

It works. Amazing. You must know that I don't have an engineering background. It's just painting by numbers for me. Soldering by numbers.

It's dead quiet! I can't believe it. Normally there's always something wrong when you fire it up for the first time. Hum. Not this time. This proves that the design is a Level 1 kit. :D

Thanks Doc.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:20:35 PM
Hey Franco,

I would imagine that those voltages may fall into line when the tubes have some burn in time, especially the 12AU7. 

Glad to hear everything works!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man