Building Speakers in the metric system

docbob52 · 2289

Offline docbob52

on: September 19, 2016, 01:58:06 PM
What is the best way to build speakers that are in metric measurements?  i have always had trouble in the past with fitting when converting to english inches.  What is the best way?  Buy some metric rulers and for the table saw,  or just use a conversion into english format?   All advise appreciated.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:50:53 AM
I think it is a mistake and more trouble then it is worth to try to convert. If the project is in mm, work in mm. just make sure that the thickness of the ply or MDF match up...John     

John Scanlon

Offline docbob52

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:13 PM
I agree that it is easier to just work in the metric system but complications are that all my tools are in SAE--router bits, table saw, etc. Advice appreciated

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 04:32:11 PM
Draw a plan using metric then convert to SAE and  notate on plan  good to go then all referencing notated and done

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
I served a machine shop apprenticeship in England back in the 70's. At that time we were 50-50 metric and imperial.

We were taught to use measuring equipment (micrometers, verniers rules etc.) to match the drawing irrespective of the scales on the machine tool. Just convert 25.4mm to the inch (or 0.0254 mm to the thou) when setting the dials / scales etc on your machinery and measure in the units on your drawing. This has worked for me for the last 40 years (and is why I possess 4 imperial micrometers and 4 metric). HTH.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.