EF86 Favourite choices

JamieMcC · 4695

Offline JamieMcC

on: September 22, 2016, 09:25:16 AM
There seem to be a few of us who have recently started building the Eros and I wondered if those of you who have been running them for some time might pass on some of your tube rolling experiences and share your favourite tube combinations with us Eros newbies.

Cheers
Jamie

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:00:15 AM
6BR7

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:46 AM
I took Aaron's advice a picked up six 6BR7 NOS Brimar tubes to use in my Eros. This tube requires the A and B sockets to be rewired, because of the different pin out of the tubes. I downloads the data sheets for both tubes and went through the manual and made pen and ink chances to help with the build.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:27:06 PM
 I should've given a little more info when I posted this. The 6BR7 is a great tube and cheap compared to other offers.  There are a lot of others you can use and Grainger posted a list of them in the Eros forum.  Traditional Telefunken EF86's are quite expensive and it's getting harder to find very quiet pairs. EF86's are prone to noise and it takes quite a few to find an ideal quiet pair. The Soviet tubes that BH ships with the kits are good quality and a nice starting point. Be aware that this is a very high gain tube and it doesn't take much to have noise of which you will notice.

I prefer the 6BR7 because it's still relatively cheap, it sounds good in my experience and I can afford to buy 20 of them to find one or two extremely quiet pairs.  There are other tubes out there you can do this with also.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:35:53 PM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline ALL212

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:13:23 PM
Probably 24 hours on my Eros so not fully broken in yet but...

#1 Telefunken EF86's - they just have a sparkle and separation...
#2 Soviet tubes that came with the amp
#3 Siemens EF86's - a bit dark, nothing wrong with them, must rather have the Tele's in.

Aaron Luebke

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 01:28:11 AM
An update, if you do use the 6BR7, you will need to keep the servo circuit in your build.  Of the 20 or so I have, none of them can get the voltages without the servo.  It's a great sounding tube regardless, just a little different than the EF86 that PJ built the circuit around.

Aaron Johnson

Offline adeep42

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:29:44 PM
Hello fellow Eros users, My Eros is finally fully broken in and like so many of you, I just can't leave well enough alone. Bought a pair of Telefunken Chrome Plate Red top EF86's. Wow, they are great. Everything is clearer, more forward. They also seem to have a tad more gain. Totally musical. Looking to experiment further, but I can't imagine it can get much better.

Alan
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:15:37 AM by adeep42 »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:38:03 AM
Out of interest how much is involved in rewiring the sockets for 6BR7?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 07:51:03 AM
It's pretty easy. It helps to have extra grid stoppers at home as it's easier to replace than move them. Grainger posted a how to already. Take a look through the Eros phono pages.

Aaron Johnson

Offline rockpassion

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:04:00 PM
Hello All,

I am always looking for something that might add a little extra to my Eros.  So I got on E-Bay  and found some Telefunken EF86.  Just got them in, put them in my Eros and listened to Dire Straights "Brothers in Arms" LP.   While it was not a huge change, the clarity and separation has taken the Eros to the next level.  Plus, I noticed the bass is deeper and tighter.    I cannot imagine it getting much better than what I have right now.   Thanks to all who made the above recommendation. 

So I would say this is a definite worthwhile upgrade.  I think with this upgrade and my previous capacitor upgrade I am done with the Eros modifications. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline debk

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 02:07:17 AM
I am using a pair of NOS Genalex Z729
Best sounding tube I have used in my Eros

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline adeep42

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 11:45:08 AM
After some extended conversation with Aaron(johnsonad), I've tried some some 6DJ8's in place of the stock 6922. Currently running a Dutch made RCA along with the Telefunken EF86s. Mind blowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaron also pointed me toward Brent Jessee( www.audiotubes.com) where he recommended an Amperex 1964 6DJ8 that Brent calls "butt ugly" for $35. Prettier ones are very sought after and can run around $100 or more. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but will soon. Don't know if it can get better than what I'm hearing now.

Debra, notice you also are using a Bob's Devices SUT. Love mine. Bob's a delightful guy to deal with. Interaction with the Eros is excellent.

Alan
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:29:37 PM by adeep42 »

Offline ALL212

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:36:35 PM
Plug for Brent Jesse - Knows his stuff and stands by his products.  I had a 2A3 start to go bad that I purchased from him.  No questions asked other than to do basic t'shooting (switch positions of the tubes).  He only asks the original tube be shipped back to him.

Oh...I'm the "other" Aaron.   ???

Aaron Luebke

Offline johnsonad

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 02:48:47 PM
Oh...I'm the "other" Aaron.   ???

Yup, there are two of us it seems :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 02:54:29 PM
I think us Pauls have you guys out-numbered.  :^)

Paul Joppa