Sourcing Birch Baltic Plywood 1"

docbob52 · 2332

Offline docbob52

on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:35 PM
I am having trouble sourcing 1" Birch baltic plywood here in south Alabama.  I   found some that could be ordered, but have to pay 570$ for a lot that is more than I need.  Would It work if I bought 1/2" panels and glued them together?  The joints will be Dado.  All advise appreciated

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:46:57 PM
I think it seems like a sound alternative.  The main challenge I'd foresee is ensuring flatness.  It might be best to laminate pieces no larger than whatever very flat surface with or on which you have to clamp them, because a warp in 1" ply would likely be a challenge to overcome.

Offline howardnair

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:30:47 PM
Laminate them together no problem
Cut them a little oversize then glue them together a little less stressful then cut to size yellow glue is strong enough but has a short working time meaning once you stick the pieces together they don't slide around for adjustment  make a square jig out of at least 3/4" paint the glue on both surfaces with a throwaway paint brush  not too much and not to little put a few nails or screws in to keep them aligned then clamp them together you should be able to cut to size after about an hour

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:52:51 AM
This may be too late, but buyappleply.com has BB furniture quality plywood up to 2" thick and they sell pieces of various sizes so yo9u only have to buy a piece that is big enough for your project.

HTH,

Jim

P.S. -- this stuff is wonderful and cuts really with an 80 tooth laminate blade.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)