using DAC with crack.

gogofar · 2731

Offline gogofar

on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:37 AM
i tried my crack with a dac and the sound is horrible.  any idea why this is happening? input straight from a cd player sounds great though. the dac is upgraded MSB which works flawlessly with other setups via optical output. also, when i connect my computer to the amp, there's no output and only some noise.  is this an issue of impedance mismatch? any input will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:40:46 AM
The Crack works well with your CD player via the CD player's RCA audio output. So the Crack seems to be working right.

The DAC works fine though its optical output, but sounds bad through the RCA audio output. There would seem to be an issue with the RCA audio output of the DAC. How does it sound bad? Noisy? No bass? Distorted?

The computer doesn't work at all through its audio output. This sounds like a problem with the computer's audio output, since the CD player functions OK with the Crack. Are you sure you are using the proper output (headphone or line out) and not connecting the mic input by mistake? Also are you sure your settings are correct for your sound card?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:25:03 AM
Your last question was about impedance mismatch.  No, this should not be the problem either.  The Crack has a standard input resistance/impedance. 

Offline gogofar

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:30:46 AM
thank you both for very quick replies.
so, crack should work fine with dac and computer from what you're saying.  i will check for possible problems in dac and computer output. thank you!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:11 AM
You are welcome.  I think Doc said it very succinctly, if the Crack works with a CD player there is no problem with the Crack.  That makes lots of sense.