It feels so good to be back!

ewingfox · 1781

Offline ewingfox

on: November 09, 2016, 06:18:02 PM
Wow... Has it been? - yup -  17 years since I first stumbled upon the Foreplay 99$ kit.  Next came the Straight 8's.  The Foreplay was an unfortunate casualty in the dumpsterfire that was my divorce a few years ago, but my Straight 8's are still in the mix and sound as good as they ever did.  Since the death of my Foreplay (RIP) I have been powering my speakers with a decent mid-90s Denon but while linear and quiet, there was a realism and just general pleasantness that I had forgotten.  Until tonight!

Due to a strange twist of fate that lead me to a bizarre job building some audio gear for a InfoSec customer of mine - i felt it would be a good idea to warm up my soldering skills and build - anything.  A $8 chip amp from Amazon didn't do it.  Nope.  Not at all.  With A BeePree +BeeQuiet in the shipping queue, I needed to go valve, and I needed it bad!

Shipped within a week, and tucked inside a lovely stocking (great for assembling the kit on, by the way!) my Quickie went together like butter.  Still have my Original Foreplay manual and I have to say that while it was the best manual in the universe back in 1999 - the instructions and color photos included in the 1.1 manual almost felt like cheating while assembling my *gasp* bright yellow Quickie.

Everything metered out fine - like perfectly.  I have never, ever, ever -  heard a more microphonic tube in my life, but that is why god created chassis mods and tube rolling. 

After a (respectful) amount of burn in time downstairs connected to a pair of small throwaway speakers, it just went into the Lineup - SMSL 24bit DAC to Quickie, to NAD 2150 to vintage straight 8's. I won't bore you with baloney audiophile sommelier language.  It is simpler than that, and it always has been for me.  As soon the first note hit I had that instant grin, still hunched over the Quickie on the floor 40" from the speakers.  Now I am back on the couch typing this  at a more respectful 13' and I can't stop grinning.  The soundstage is bigger, the mids are freakin' awesome, and while there is a bit less resolution in the bottom end, it is just so pleasurable to listen to.

Thanks for doing it again Doc, Paul and (of course) Eileen.   I know the Bottlehead family has grown and has suffered loss over the years since my last dive into the world , but you haven't lost that spark.   Cant wait for the power boards for the Quickie, and I don't know how I am going to be able to sleep until the BeePree arrives.  Too bad I'll be (eventually) sending it on to a new home, but I bet there will be one of my own in my room before too long :)

Take care,

Ewing

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 05:11:06 AM
Wow, thanks for the nice write up Ewing!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline cpaul

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:52:04 PM
Gasp yellow?  Photos?  Curious what a bright yellow Quickie looks like.  Yes, I know this is old but for some reason I missed it...

Offline ewingfox

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:29:05 PM
Here is one from when I had the quickie downstairs in my shop to do some testing - I clocked over 200hrs on the first set of batteries!

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:54:33 PM
Lovely!
IMHO the brighter the color the better it turns out!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline ewingfox

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:09:31 AM
And the little Chinese Dac - the SMSL M8 is a surprise performer for the price - but make sure to get the power supply - huge difference.

Offline BNAL

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:47:47 AM
Yes the Quickie is a great preamp. I built mine over Christmas for my office system, but it was so good it never left my home system.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline brucef

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 06:33:55 AM
I built my Quickie right after Christmas and my kit also contained a yellow plate. Not sure if it would be my first choice of color but it looks pretty cool and sounds great. I have tried several different brands of tubes in it and currently have settled in on a pair of Brimar tubes. They have been by far the least microphonic of any of the others I have tried. Right behind those has been a pair of RCA's.

Bruce F